PDA

View Full Version : South Louisiana Roadways

Pages : [1] 2

Dennis
01-28-2014, 08:36 PM
We have never experienced anything like this. We had a two day break out of the last 5 days. This weather has shut down the city of Baton Rouge, plus most Southern Louisiana Interstates. We never have to deal with anything like this. All overpasses look like this.

http://theadvocate.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=x53_k e$kwPAPbIq_fBjtZc$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYuoNbad1E99vpy abS25JG$JWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

fgw_in_fla
01-28-2014, 08:48 PM
Learning that bridges ice up before highways is one of those things you learn & never forget.
I get chills just looking at some of the video footage the news has been airing here in the southeast.

JackinSD
01-28-2014, 08:58 PM
I feel sorry for you guys. I am sure there are those that have never even seen snow and that part of the country. Those of us that live in a part of the country that gets snow regularly will have the tendency to not understand the problem. It's just snow. But, I was a part of New Mexico, on a trip back to South Dakota, that had not seen ice for many years. They got ice that night. I spent an extra few hours in the hotel room just waiting for the roads to clear. Not so much because of the ice, but because of the people that had never driven on ice before.
The nice thing in your part of the country is that it will be gone before too long. I have at least a couple more months of it.

rsh4364
01-28-2014, 09:37 PM
Seems like its been rough winter for us all!

bootsmcguire
01-28-2014, 09:56 PM
I went and visited some distant family near the Memphis area about 12 years ago in December. While there one afternoon the temp dropped and they got about 1 inch of snow. That night I decided I was going to run down to the corner gas station and get a Pepsi. None of them could believe that I would drive and risk my life just to get a Pepsi. I finally convinced my much older 2nd cousin to go with me and I would prove there was nothing really to worry about. She got in the truck and I carefully drove the two miles through the empty streets with out sliding or spinning a tire even once. I went in (just as the station was closing due to weather) and came back out and she proceeded to start telling me I was right and it was no big deal. That's when I said, "Yup it's not scary, its actually quite fun." She said, "Fun, how is this fun?" I said "here I'll show you!" We went skidding and sliding around every corner I could find, driving sideways for blocks at a time. I don't think the truck was actually pointed straight (but still going right down the road) for more than a few feet at any one time. By the time we got back I thought she was going to have a heart attack. The rest of my stay she kept calling it her near death experience. ;)

Hotolds442
01-28-2014, 10:33 PM
I'm waiting on a rifle that's been out of the Tallahassee FedEx hub three times on its way to Washington. It just keeps ending up back there. It almost made it to Atlanta once. The roads must be brutal down there.

Westcliffe01
01-28-2014, 11:05 PM
I was just out filling the sled with firewood for the night and splitting some stuff that was a bit too big. -2F with wind chill to -19F. The snow is real squeaky under my boots... Have the battery charger hooked up to the battery of the car so it will start in the morning. These temperatures really have an effect on batteries, not to mention what happens to the engine oil... Roads this morning were covered with a solid 1/2" of hard ice so one had a pretty tenuous grip and had to fight to keep it going where you wanted.

It is the first "real" winter in several years and it also got started late, after a Nov and Dec that was more like fall. The warm start to winter really killed deer season for us SE MI hunters since the deer were not at all pressurized to get out and graze, so they were 100% nocturnal after the first shots rang out on Nov 15.

Dennis
01-29-2014, 02:07 AM
It's the first time I have ever seen so many vehicles on the muddy shoulders of the roads in my life. We didn't have enough police vehicles to wright up the accidents. This time, they set a curfew for tonight. There are no major roads open to New Orleans, maybe a few back roads, but you better know them well. I wouldn't do it. All marshlands.

Rick_W
01-29-2014, 11:49 AM
My wife said Vidalia received a lot more snow than Natchez yesterday. The road we live on in Natchez has at least a quarter inch of ice on it.

We got about an inch of sleet/snow down here on the coast.

Drove to work this morning in the Jeep. I've got 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers on it. North of I-10 was ice & slush everywhere. I just kept the Jeep at a steady 15-20 mph and drove along, 2WD. Once I drove south of I-10 it was like a different world. Very little snow/ice/slush except on the bridges and in the areas that have lots of water on both sides of the road.

J.Baker
01-29-2014, 10:28 PM
Well one thing's for sure...

If the south ever secedes from the Union again you can rest assured the resulting war won't take long for the north to win. That's because now we your weakness - we'll simply invade with ice and artificial snow machines rather than cannons and rifles and the war will be over in a matter of two days without a single casualty. :p

Hotolds442
01-29-2014, 10:40 PM

If the south ever secedes from the Union again you can rest assured the resulting war won't take long for the north to win. That's because now we your weakness - we'll simply invade with ice and artificial snow machines rather than cannons and rifles and the war will be over in a matter of two days without a single casualty. :p

Lol!

maxl
01-30-2014, 08:29 AM
Whatever happen to global warming? I certainly liked it better,where's Al Gore when you need him

fgw_in_fla
01-30-2014, 10:16 AM

Yankee go home.
Leave your money, but go home.

And take you cold air with you when you leave.

03mossy
01-30-2014, 01:00 PM

LMAO Awesome!!!!

yobuck
01-30-2014, 02:59 PM
My wife said Vidalia received a lot more snow than Natchez yesterday. The road we live on in Natchez has at least a quarter inch of ice on it.

We got about an inch of sleet/snow down here on the coast.

Drove to work this morning in the Jeep. I've got 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers on it. North of I-10 was ice & slush everywhere. I just kept the Jeep at a steady 15-20 mph and drove along, 2WD. Once I drove south of I-10 it was like a different world. Very little snow/ice/slush except on the bridges and in the areas that have lots of water on both sides of the road.

aint no tires good on ice unless they have studs in them or chains around them.

Rick_W
01-30-2014, 03:50 PM
Wasn't implying there were - merely stating what I have and what the road conditions were like for my ride.

Slush can be driven on safely - if a person can drive safely for the conditions in the first place.

Nandy
01-30-2014, 05:38 PM
Tuesday I counted 13 vehicles off the highway, wayyyy in the soft median/shoulder... In a 15 mile drive from work to my house. That was at 10 pm. People here in Charlotte NC are idiots and drive like retarded maniacs... One guy passed me in hwy 16 which had been pretty much left unattended since the snow started. He was doing a good 55 or more on top of that compacted snow. What an idiot!!!!

I have a few major goals this year, one of them is a generator. Right now all I have is an 800/900 peak generator. Only good to run lights. Not sure it will run the furnace blower or not, havent try. I heat with gas. Working on getting a motor for a 10k gen. Hate to go thru there low 20's without heat. I do have propane heaters but they pose a low oxygen risk...

rjtfroggy
01-31-2014, 07:23 AM
Nandy here is a little trick from over 20 years of furnace repair work, take the door off the blower compartment and try to move the blower away from opening,this will turn the furnace into a gravity system and the heat will circulate through out the house.
As for stupid drivers in bad weather try living up here in the North east, sometimes I think the southerners come north to get away from the snow bids.

fgw_in_fla
01-31-2014, 08:01 AM
Snow birds?
Down here we call it Yankee Season.

Happiest day in Florida is when all the Canadians leave with a New Yorker under each arm....

Nandy
01-31-2014, 11:21 AM
my furnace is on the attic. will that still work? and you meant to actually remove the blower motor? that sounds interesting.