PDA

View Full Version : Hogue Fully Bedded

Mike G
01-28-2014, 06:53 PM
Hello Folks.

New to this forum. Looking at buying a FCPXP, 22" heavy fluted barrel, with Accustrigger but no Accustock from Dick´s (sorry for the tired theme). I'm trying to find an inexpensive stock that's a good platform for GP gun of range shooting, deer and elk. The plastic stock on the gun is crap and has to go. Since I'll be using it for hunting, trying to stay light but rigid. Found the Hogue fully bedded stock in green for $189 (2.9 lbs) which is relatively inexpensive. Next step up is Choate Tact. at $229 (3.75lbs).

All the reports of regular Hogue overmold (pillared) are horrible, but I don't see a lot on the fully bedded.

1. Has anyone used the Hogue Bedded and liked it on this gun as a hunter?
2. Accuracy?
3. Reported Problems?
4. Are there any other alternatives in the $200-250 range that are in the 3lb class.

Don't know what the action weighs, but I assume around 6 lbs. The Choate with stock and action alone are at or over 10 lbs. Add scope and bipod............

**Bell & Carlson wont work with DBM on this gun, so they're out of the picture.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Mike G
01-28-2014, 07:00 PM
Sorry.

308, 22" heavy fluted, short action - drop box magazine.

03-18-2014, 10:12 PM
The Hogue stocks with full bedding blocks are OK; however, they are not a tactical stock. Some people do not like the grabby feel of them but it doesn't bother me. Skim bedding with epoxy is probably a good idea, but this is true for all of these types of stocks.

I have a 10FP with PTG stealth bottom metal installed into one of the Hogue's with the full bedding block. The stock is not as stiff as the original Savage tactical stock, which is disappointing. I think it would be fine for a hunting rifle, but may not be the upgrade you expect. I went with the Hogue since it was available with a DBM inlet, but now I don't think it was worth it for a tactical/range gun. I also have a Boyd's tacticool, which is a very stiff stock, but it will require a bit of work to make it usable. I'd have to open up the barrel channel and pillar/glass bed the action.

If Bell & Carlson made a medalist with DBM inlet, that would be my first choice. If you are willing to do some work, the Boyd's stocks are a great value. Another option to consider is Stockade. I'd probably go with a Stockade now rather than the Hogue.