PDA

View Full Version : Which Boyd's Stock for a VSS Single Shot?

hammie
01-28-2014, 05:04 PM
I have a savage 112 VSS, which is a single shot. It has a solid bottom receiver and there is no cut out for a magazine. Has anyone replaced a factory single shot stock with a boyd's varmint thumbhole stock and if so, which did you use: a center feed or staggered feed? Will either one work or will neither one work?

My gut feeling is that, with the exception of the magazine cutout, the bottom of the receiver is the same for either the single shot, center feed, or staggered feed rifles, and that either a center feed or staggered feed stock should work.

I did contact boyd's but they were unable to give me an answer. Maybe someone who has done this would know?

sharpshooter
01-28-2014, 06:33 PM
If it's a 112, it's a long action and either will work. However the VSS has a larger barrel contour than the standard varmint version.

hammie
01-28-2014, 07:19 PM
@sharpshooter: Thanks for the barrel contour information. I'm not sure if it's a VSS or has a standard target/varmint contour for the barrel. The letters, "VBSS", seem to pop into my mind, but there is no model designation on the rifle other than "Savage 112 Cal. 220 Swift".

The rifle was manufactured around 1992, and so I'm thinking I will order a staggered feed stock, which should bypass any later minor changes with center feed models. When I look at the bottom of the receivers on my other savages, the only difference seems to be the hole cut in the receiver tube. So they should bed and fit the same on the topside. I'm hoping, anyway.

If the barrel contour is different, I should be able to open up the channel. That's why God gave us sandpaper and 6 point sockets.

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that this would not be a common situation.

ky-n
01-28-2014, 08:58 PM
I just put one of their tacticool stocks on my FVSS and had to open the barrel channel up with careful sanding using sockets. Got to get around to doing pillars and bedding.

sharpshooter
01-28-2014, 11:01 PM
The VSS was made from 2001-2005, had a muzzle diameter of .910. They also wore Choate Ultimate Varminter stocks from the factory.
If yours was made in 1992, it's not a VSS, but most probably a FVSS and it has the standard varmint contour barrel,(.820" @the muzzle.)

hammie
01-28-2014, 11:14 PM
@sharpshooter: I'm always amazed at the knowledge here. You're right. I just mike'd it and it measured .810 at the muzzle. Then the barrel channel on the boyd's stock should be OK as it is.

hammie
02-09-2014, 01:13 AM
I can answer my own question now. I ordered and received a boyds royal jacaranda, thumbhole varmint target stock. It fits perfectly. (well almost perfectly. I had to open up the barrel channel a "skosh", but 20 minutes and some sandpaper and a socket fixed that.) So for the few single shot savages with solid receiver bottoms, the appropriate blind magazine boyds stock will work fine.

I also ordered and received another boyds stock and both boyds stocks have amazing workmanship, quality and beauty. I don't know how they do it and keep the price so low. A tremendous value. I'm actually thinking about buying another rifle, just so I can throw away the factory stock and re-fit it with another boyds.