PDA

View Full Version : Are Savage CF barrels made by Savage?

Pages : 1 [2]

rjtfroggy
03-10-2010, 09:09 AM
82boy I believe they are up to the H's now.I also don't think any barrel maker out there could keep up with the demand or needs of Savage, and if they could the rest of their business would fall off the map. Look at the wait times for barrels from any of the makers, shortest 6 weeks out to 22 weeks. Savage does most custom orders with in 6 weeks and that is for a complete rifle.

hotbrass
03-10-2010, 11:20 AM
What do Savage barrels cost compared to custom makers?

How does one buy a Savage barrel from Savage. I know we have vendors here, but they dont list what I want.

Thanks!

82boy
03-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Savage will not sell a barrel outright, for exact cost of barrel call Savage.

Lets see something, The way Savage makes barrels all barrels start life in a heavy barrel format, the sporter barrels are turned down, which would increase the cost of the rifle. Retail price on a Stevens 200 (Savage without the fancy trigger) is $275- $300. At that price the gun has possibly gone through a retailer, and a wholesaler, with both adding on there mark up as well as Savage mark up, my best calculations are that cost is well under $200 bucks, that is for a complete rifle. My guess would be that the barrel cost maybe $25 to $50 bucks, cost would be lower on a varminter barrel.

Now look at custom barrel makers a Brux, Krieger, Bartline, unchambered barrel blank sells for just under $300 bucks. Shilen, Douglas, Pac nor, unchamberd blanks are not far behind the others in cost, either way it is much more than what Savage is making a complete rifle for. So either the barrel makers have unjustly high mark up, or it cost one heck of a lot more to manufacture.