PDA

View Full Version : Question on my first build model 111

Bearguide444
01-26-2014, 10:19 PM
I have read about changing the recoil lug how important is it? I have read that getting barrel stamping to line up is hard but if I'm using the same barrel does that fall into play? what are the torque spec when you tighten up barrel nut? where do i find directions on how to do this properly? any help would be great.

Hotolds442
01-26-2014, 10:29 PM
Using the same barrel, and head spacing it the same, will result in your roll stamp lining up perfectly no matter how thick the recoil lug is. I usually hit the barrel nut wrench twice with a leather mallet, no need to torque it, just tighten it. There's all sorts of YouTube videos out there showing how to swap a Savage barrel. I prefer a precision ground recoil lug on my rifles.

foxx
01-26-2014, 10:36 PM
Most people who have changed them out will tell you they wait until they change barrels. They are nice to have, they do help, but it is not worth the hassle just to change the lug. Also, to answer your question, if you do go to an improved lug, you may be able to get the stamped wording to return to the original orientation, assuming it is installed on the same action. If it doesn't return to the same orientation, I would suspect you have not returned it to the same headspace specs as it was originally set.

foxx
01-26-2014, 10:40 PM
Or what Hotolds said. :)

Sorry Hotolds. I did not see your post before I responded. I hate it when I do that.

the Ranger
01-27-2014, 05:35 AM
couldn't he loosen and unscrew the barrel nut and remove the lug and install a new one without unscrewing the barrel from the action at all? then there is no worry of changing headspace or roll mark location. I have not done this yet, so don't know for sure.

foxx
01-27-2014, 09:39 AM
In theory, yes, but the barrel may twist out from the action a bit when trying to remove the nut. It doesn't really matter, though. My point about not bothering to replace the lug without replacing the barrel is that removing the nut on a factory installed barrel is difficult the first time. Unless you already have an action wrench and nut wrench, it is expensive (relative to the improvement) and unnecessary. Certainly, if I am going to replace the barrel anyway, I will replace the nut and lug while I am at it.

Crude example, but it would be like, in the middle of a busy day at the office, deciding to go home for lunch just to change my underwear. On the other hand, if I need a shower, I might as well go ahead with swap out my shorts. :)

Hotolds442
01-27-2014, 10:13 AM
Or what Hotolds said. :)

Sorry Hotolds. I did not see your post before I responded. I hate it when I do that.
It's all good

And to answer the Ranger no, he can't take the barrel nut off of the barrel without removing said barrel. When the nut gets to the end if the threads, it doesn't slide down the barrel towards the muzzle. At least none of mine do.

the Ranger
01-27-2014, 10:34 AM
good to know.

Bearguide444
01-27-2014, 12:01 PM
thank you for all your great info. I might just wait until I change out the barrel.