PDA

View Full Version : What size rings to get for Redfield Revolution?

hardrock86
01-26-2014, 09:32 PM
So Ive searched this forum and read all the posts pertaining to the scope I got, however looks like there could be more than one answer...

I recently picked up a Savage Axis and just today purchased a Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 scope. My question is if I should go with low or medium rings? Not sure how much clearance there is for the bolt, if any with the low rings. And are the "Zee Signature rings" the standard that I should be looking at, or are there other decently priced options out there? I saw the sticky above, but still a little confused trying to understand everything.

Thanks,

RiverSink
01-27-2014, 05:24 AM
Low's should be plenty high.

buxman66
01-27-2014, 07:55 AM
Usually the 50mm or 56mm objectives are going to force you use a high and ultra-high ring mount. 40,42, and 44's are low to medium. In my experiences.

J.Baker
01-27-2014, 11:13 AM
Really depends on what base you're using. Generally speaking you'll probably want medium height rings, but if you have a tall base (like a Ken Farrell) low's would be the better option.

hardrock86
01-27-2014, 11:52 AM
I just ordered the EGW base. And the low rings from Burris. Oopps, hopefully if its too low, it wont be an issue to find someone who would trade or something for the medium base rings.

RiverSink
01-27-2014, 12:04 PM
I think you will be fine with that combination. If there is a problem It will probably be with the front of the rail contacting the bell when you slide the scope back for proper eye relief. If that does happen you can cut the rail off even with the back of the barrel nut and touch it up with some paint. I as well as other's have done this and it is well worth the small amout of work so that your scope can sit low. Good luck and let us know how it work's out.

J.Baker
01-27-2014, 12:09 PM
That doesn't have an AO so it might just squeak by, but you may not be able to get your lens caps on due to the minimal clearance.

hardrock86
01-27-2014, 12:18 PM
Thanks guys. Yea I ordered the lens caps separately, I believe they are butler creek. Hopefully everything will fit, if not I guess I can try to butcher the rail to make it work like riversink suggested.