PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Best Electric Powder Measure?

Dust
08-30-2009, 11:00 PM
I got a Lyman DPS3 the other day and its not reading correctlly. Not sure whats the problem. Taking it back and getting another one. But has anyone had any probs with them also? And what do ya'll think is the best one??

tiny68
08-30-2009, 11:11 PM
I have had a RCBS Chargemaster Combo for over 3 years. I have ran over 100 lbs of powder through it. Only problem I ever had was when I got some Unique stuck in it. I was making some fire form loads when son had a motorcycle wreck. I had to take him to the emergency room. I forgot about the powder in the dispenser. When I found it the next weekend it was stuck the to plastic and wouldn't come off. Tried 3 or 4 solvents. Called RCBS to try and buy a new top for it. They send me a new one free of charge. I have always had top service from RCBS.

In short, I highly recommend the Chargemaster. However, since I got my Harrells Custom 90, I rarely use the Chargemaster. Only with new loads on a new caliber.

luck, tiny

EFBell
08-31-2009, 08:35 AM
I like my chargemaster. I highly recommend it.

johnsopa
08-31-2009, 11:36 AM
I have a Chargemaster and use it for all of my loading -- probably 500 rounds a month or so. I did the McDonald's straw mod to keep powder from sticking in the dispenser tube and also adjusted the (hidden) dispenser settings and it drops faster and more consistantly than it did originally.

In short, I highly recommend the Chargemaster. However, since I got my Harrells Custom 90, I rarely use the Chargemaster. Only with new loads on a new caliber.

Tiny, if you wouldn't mind elaborating, why do you use the Harrells almost exclusively? I read the article on the SavageShooters front page and was thinking about getting one.

teddy12b
08-31-2009, 11:38 AM
If I didn't have my chargemaster combo, I'd probably quit reloading all together. That's how much I like it.

tiny68
08-31-2009, 01:33 PM
Tiny, if you wouldn't mind elaborating, why do you use the Harrells almost exclusively? I read the article on the SavageShooters front page and was thinking about getting one.

Sure. I have tested my Harrell's with 5 types of powder (VV N135, RE-15, Varget, RE-17, and IMR 4895). In all cases, I made a calibration table by delivering 5 replicates off each number of "clicks" and weighted with the electronic balance to know how much powder is being delivered in the weigh ranges for my brass. I is almost always it is within -/+ 0.1 gr. I load primarily at the range with load development and at matches. I tried using the ChargeMaster at the range. I brought a portable power pack to run it (all-in-one air compressor, car jumper, light, etc) to use it without power. Works ok if their is not wind. But if their is even a mild wind it talks forever to stabilize. I even made a plexi-glass box as a windshield. It helped a lot but it was just too much trouble. The Harrell's is much quicker and indifferent to the wind.

If I am loading up 100 of the same load to go shoot F-class (practice or match) then I will use the ChargeMaster. But in short range benchrest, I am trying to constantly tune my load for the changing conditions of the day. It is not uncommon for us to see a 30 degree temp change between early morning and late afternoon in Oklahoma and Texas. A load that is "hot" in the morning might be popping primers in the afternoon.

Luck, tiny

snipecatcher
09-13-2009, 11:30 PM
The RCBS chargemaster works great for me. In fact, I've never used anything else, or had a need to. I just got into reloading about a year ago, and bought it right off the bat. I can count the number of times it has thrown too much powder on 1 hand, and it has only been .1 of a grain over.
-Dan

ThorBird
09-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Love the RCBS Chargemaster. Let it warm up in the room you plan to use it in, and keep it level. I have checked it for accuracy many times, never had an issue, so I gave up and trust it.

stevec
09-14-2009, 08:55 PM
This is the one I prefer, but im bias. ;D

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,19013.0.html

Steve

johnds
09-14-2009, 09:34 PM
OK....tell us about the straw mod and the "secret" adjustment......Please?

sinman
09-14-2009, 09:44 PM
i like my lyman dps3. It works all the time and every time .1-.05 of a grain accuracy which is fine for me.

Smokey262
09-14-2009, 10:18 PM
OK....tell us about the straw mod and the "secret" adjustment......Please?

Then it won't be a secret

hershey
09-16-2009, 07:47 PM
maybe i am not up to speed on the rcbs, but doesn't it use the rcbs 750 scale? i have had very poor consistancy issues w/ my 750, i can watch it drift out of calibration by a couple 10th's in just minutes. i use a pact and have the rcbs to keep it honest, but i don't see the rcbs scale i have as ever being reliable to trust as a primary scale...........

lal357
09-18-2009, 06:46 AM
i like my lyman dps3 drops quick and doesnt drift much when it does (only .01) now i do recalibrate every 5 drops but thats just me cleanup/swapping powders is quick and easy .