PDA

View Full Version : converting to 7MM STW, questions?

olyeller
01-26-2014, 10:59 AM
Thinking about picking up pawn shop gun and converting to 7MM STW.
1) Would a standard 110 chambered for -06/270 size cases work? Just change bolt face?
2) What needs to be done to magazine, going from .473 to .532 size cases and longer case of the STW?
3) Would it be better to start with a 7MM Rem gun to convert? (prolly a no-brainer question)

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Hotolds442
01-26-2014, 11:17 AM
Since you're starting fresh, grab a magnum from the pawn shop, thn all you'll need is a barrel.

olyeller
01-26-2014, 03:12 PM
Yeah, the "no-brainer".
Thank you sir. Just getting used to barrel swap. Got a 110 off Gunbroken with a take-off barrel "Luther" botched. He lined up the roll marks so it would look nice instead of proper headspacing. Head separation on reloads was my first clue, so got a set of gauges and tools and reset it. Shoots good now; was about 3/8turn off.
I'll start looking for a 7MM Rem Mag or similar to build the 7STW on. Just not sure if mag will be long enough. Think so.

Thanks for the reply

Hotolds442
01-26-2014, 03:49 PM
I did some research, it looks like the 7STW is gonna be a little long for the magnum magazine. You're probably gonna need the Ultramag length action if you want a repeater.

RyanG
01-26-2014, 11:06 PM
Please keep us posted on your progress..... I am interested in doing the same build...

Ryan

KRP
01-26-2014, 11:19 PM
I did some research, it looks like the 7STW is gonna be a little long for the magnum magazine. You're probably gonna need the Ultramag length action if you want a repeater.

Long actions are all the same length. STW/RUM rifles did have a longer mag box, which is no longer in production, and was still only 3.6" long.

Easiest solution(if you can't find a STW/RUM mag and/or 3.6" is too short), use a modified center feed mag box. Cartridge OAL of ~3.9" is possible without too much trouble.

olyeller
01-27-2014, 07:49 AM
Long actions are all the same length. STW/RUM rifles did have a longer mag box, which is no longer in production, and was still only 3.6" long.

Easiest solution(if you can't find a STW/RUM mag and/or 3.6" is too short), use a modified center feed mag box. Cartridge OAL of ~3.9" is possible without too much trouble.

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know where to find long mag? Or center feed?

Jamie
01-27-2014, 09:32 AM
The 7-300 Win (or 7-300 Wby) will get close to the STW performance and will still fit in a standard length magazine.

Hotolds442
01-27-2014, 10:12 AM

Good info!