PDA

View Full Version : 6.5x47 question

dmm08300
01-26-2014, 12:11 AM
I have a model 11 that I rebarrelled at the beginning of the summer to 6.5x47. It shot great until the last two times I have had it out. My load is 38.5 gr of IMR 4350 with 120gr berger target VLDs, over the summer i got three shot groups avg about .35" and had a ten shot group of .815" at 100 yds. The last two times I have shot my three shot groups have been around an inch or so. Any ideas what may be going on? The temp outside was about 55 on the day i shot the ten shot group and the last two times I have shot it it was below 40 if that makes a difference. Shooting off bipods with a sand bag under the rear. Thanks in advance for the help.

shoalwater
01-26-2014, 12:30 AM
Could be lots of things, loose bases, rings, barrel is fouled and needs to be cleaned, you were just off your game those days, etc. I doubt 10 degrees would open up the group that much.

dmm08300
01-26-2014, 12:41 AM
The bases and rings are tight, I checked that first. The barrel has been cleaned within the last 20 rounds and only had about 100 rounds through it. The only other thing that is really jumping out to me is that the barrel is not completely free floated. All but the last inch of two is, but it shot good before. The powder I loaded with is from the same jug as the first set I loaded and the bullets from the same box and primers from the same case.

FW Conch
01-26-2014, 08:59 AM
Different day, different results. But not by much! Welcome to "excessive/compulsive" behavior! ;-))

dmm08300
01-26-2014, 02:39 PM
I guess so, it's frustrating but I guess that's part of it.

jsthntn247
01-26-2014, 10:36 PM
Could be throat erosion. Check your max coal avian and see if its grown some.

dmm08300
01-26-2014, 10:39 PM
I don't think it's the throat, it's only had 100 rounds or so shot through it

Westcliffe01
01-26-2014, 10:52 PM
Why not do something to ensure the barrel is free floated at all times ? Get a 3/4" and 1" hardwood dowel, some 40 grit paper and open up that barrel channel. Make sure it remains free floating when you have the front on a rest, like a bipod which tends to be way up front. I use a "playing card" clearance rule, not a $ bill. That is way too thin to work with most stocks.

Then bed the action. I find it amazing that any weapon would shoot sub MOA without free floating and bedding, but you will not be sorry you did it. You want consistent accuracy, not a good group once in a while when the planets are aligned.

MrMajestic
01-26-2014, 11:42 PM
What primer are you using? Reduced temperature does effect ignition and why small rifle primer Palma cases are not recommended in low temps. CCI 450's are what most are using in that caliber.

yorketransport
01-27-2014, 01:06 AM
If I didn't know better, I'd think that you were one of my shooting partners. He has a 6.5x47 that we put together in the spring which has been doing the same thing to him.

Try bedding the action or just shimming it to do a test. If the shims help with the consistency, then bed it. Or just try shooting on a different day. I've had days where I just couldn't group and it would drive me crazy. The next trip out I'd shot better again.

Andrew

dmm08300
01-28-2014, 07:03 PM
I was planning on bedding and fully floating the barrel when I started but as soon as I got it together I was too anxious to shoot it and it shot really well so I didn't want to mess with it ( if it ain't broke, don't fix it mentality I suppose). I am using winchester small rifle primers because they were what the local shop had and they were willing to sell 1000 of them so I jumped on it. I may try the CCI's but the last time I shot this weekend it was about 19-20 degrees so I'm thinking it may just be the cold but not sure. Maybe I can get a warm day soon to try it again if Im lucky. Thanks guys for all the input and help!

handirifle
01-28-2014, 07:36 PM
I'd say check your powder. Not that it's bad, but it might be temperature sensitive. Might have had the load "just so" before and the little temp drop made a difference.

stomp442
01-28-2014, 08:30 PM
Yep could be lots of things but the thing that stands out to me is the barrel needing to be free floated. Consistency is the name of the game and if your barrel is touching in any way it will effect the barrel harmonics dramatically.

dmm08300
01-28-2014, 08:49 PM
The powder is IMR 4350 and I don't believe it is too temperature sensitive. I will make plans to free float the barrel and probably bed the action, can't hurt anything for sure.

yobuck
01-28-2014, 08:50 PM
if it never shot well that would be one thing. the fact that it did shoot well and now dosent would lead me to a fouled barrel.
i know you said you cleaned it but that dosent mean its clean. id start by cleaning again with a good bore cleaner like
bore tec eliminator. then use a good carbon remover like slip 2000. carbon is as much an enemy as copper and most bore
cleaners wont touch it. even the strong smelly ones. yours certainly wouldnt be the first accurate gun to lose its accuracy
and have it restored with "proper" cleaning.

dmm08300
01-28-2014, 08:54 PM
I can get some wipe out and run through it to see if that changes anything.

Westcliffe01
01-28-2014, 09:11 PM
The first 223 bolt action rifle I owned was a Remington 700 SPS with the heavy 26" barrel. I bought it used for $550 including a cheap chinese scope and a bipod and sling. It had not ben used much. When I took it to the range, it would not group better than 2" at 100 yards with PMC 55gr ammo. I knew it could do better than that. Did some investigstion with it on the bipod with a rear bag and found the stock was touching the barrel on 1 side. Gor out the 3/4" dowel with the 40 grit paper glued to it and had the barrel clear in about 15 minutes. Set it back up and found that the plastic stock would flex so much that even though it was free floated, it would touch when in the shooting position and loaded against the bipod. So I got out the dowel again and removed another 1/16th of an inch all round. Now one would never clear a wooden stock this much, they are much stiffer. But the plastic stocks are like a noodle.

Anyway, once I had that barrel free floated at all times, that rifle was a 1/2 minute every time out on the range. I replaced the chinese scope with a Monarch 3-12x42 and the only reason I finally sold it was because I had replaced it with a Savage 10PC with a 1:9.25 twist barrel so I could shoot 75gr match bullets which was impossible with the Remington 1:12 twist barrel.

So make no error, providing your barrel with a channel that is free floating in the shooting position (and be "generous" with the clearance - the stock is worthless) and then bedding the action (have you actually looked at what consitutes the "bedding" in your stock ? Slick cored out plastic, yuk...) will be well worth it. You will get more consistent results out of it every time at the range.

I was planning on bedding and fully floating the barrel when I started but as soon as I got it together I was too anxious to shoot it and it shot really well so I didn't want to mess with it ( if it ain't broke, don't fix it mentality I suppose). I am using winchester small rifle primers because they were what the local shop had and they were willing to sell 1000 of them so I jumped on it. I may try the CCI's but the last time I shot this weekend it was about 19-20 degrees so I'm thinking it may just be the cold but not sure. Maybe I can get a warm day soon to try it again if Im lucky. Thanks guys for all the input and help!

dmm08300
01-28-2014, 09:15 PM
My gun is in a boyds laminate stock, the factory tupperware was removed first thing before I even received the Criterion
varmint taper barrel.

Westcliffe01
01-28-2014, 09:26 PM
Then just a bedding job. Make sure the rear of the action is floating too.

dmm08300
01-28-2014, 10:13 PM
Will do, Thanks again guys.