View Full Version : Headspace problem I believe

Pages : 1 [2]

Walleyeman
01-27-2014, 11:01 PM
Hello:
First time here on this site. The above listed problem really hits home. I have a new Savage model 12 .223 LRPV and I have the exact same problem. I have used the Hornady guage that gives me the overall cartridge length which is to "Jam" using 69 grain .224 Sierria BT Match Kings bullets. Using .223 Lapua brass. If I chamber the round and then open the bolt to extract the round, the bolt rotates up but won't slide rearward to eject the round. Gently tapping on the bolt handle with a piece of wood, the bolt will slide rearward and eject the shell. Upon looking at the ejected shell, it too has a "skuff mark" on the side of the bullet directly in front of the case mouth. I'm thinking that the bullet and case are not concentric and the bullet is chambering slightly "cocked" when entering the chamber. I've had the same problem with my 22-250, off and on. I'm using a RCBS Competition bullet seater. It seems that if I full length re-size the problem doesn't exist, but I'd rather neck size only. I'm using this die in an old Pacific single stage press, light blue in color. Could the upper die, the seater, not be perfectly aligned with the shell holder and empty case? Thank you for any advice.

eddiesindian
01-28-2014, 10:40 PM
Ive done the same thing loading for one of my gas guns. Had the die adjusted improperly as well.
What Ive done is Ive pulled the deprimmer assy out of the die and resized the case shoulder (carefully) Its easy. Its sounds scary due to it being a loaded rd, but theres nothing that can possible hit the primer to set it off.
Course, I wouldnt blame you if you simply just pull the bullet and resize the brass all over again. Done that as well. Friend of mine has a collet puller that works fantastic.

bflee
01-28-2014, 10:43 PM
I have to get a puller. I have a handful of "mistakes" to pull now.
308 and now some Creedmoors.

eddiesindian
01-29-2014, 12:49 PM
I have to get a puller. I have a handful of "mistakes" to pull now.
308 and now some Creedmoors.

roger that: I have an old rcbs impact hammer Ive used thru the yrs but the collet puller is 10 times faster, especially if you got more than a few to pull.
Ive havent resized but more than 7-10 loaded rds as I mentioned. Does play on your mind....but I do prefer pulling.

The Ghost
01-30-2014, 08:53 PM
I am having somewhat of the same problem. Mine is a very short throat. I have a savage FCP-K 308. I have the hornady COAL gauge and headspace kit. They work great for the price. When I started to get ogive measurements for the 168 & 175 HP I found this problem. It shot my break in ammo great, even at 200 yds holes were touching with 3 different types and weights. So the gun shoots good not sure if I want to have the throat reamed out. Is this a common problem on newer savage rifles?

eddiesindian
01-30-2014, 10:42 PM
I am having somewhat of the same problem. Mine is a very short throat. I have a savage FCP-K 308. I have the hornady COAL gauge and headspace kit. They work great for the price. When I started to get ogive measurements for the 168 & 175 HP I found this problem. It shot my break in ammo great, even at 200 yds holes were touching with 3 different types and weights. So the gun shoots good not sure if I want to have the throat reamed out. Is this a common problem on newer savage rifles?

if its not broken..........then why fix it?

bflee
02-07-2014, 06:31 PM
Eddiesindian, thanks alot. I resized them without decapping pin and it barely glided over them and now they work like a champ. I was surprized they worked because it felt like it barely touched them.

eddiesindian
02-07-2014, 08:43 PM
Eddiesindian, thanks alot. I resized them without decapping pin and it barely glided over them and now they work like a champ. I was surprized they worked because it felt like it barely touched them.

your welcome bflee. glad it was able to work for you.
I found myself having to pull 100 plus rds this week. There loads I developed about 1 yr ago. They gave me .25" groups @ 100 (at that time).. I recently gave those rds ago and realized they didnt group well at all.......Like a fool, I didnt take into consideration that my rig has close to 1K worth of rds thru the tube now and that some wear will defently change things up for you. It still gives me .25" groups @ 100 but with different powders and chrg weights.
I found myself pullling all of them and saving the Varget that they were loaded with for further load development.
That Hornady Collet puller works wonders. Doesnt deform the pill at all, and its 10 times faster. Im sold... I need to get my own and stop borrowing my shooting partners.

ColColt
03-02-2014, 08:23 PM
Do yourself a big favor and get these two tools. I wish I had known about them long ago but wouldn't do without them since I use half a dozen different bullets. Each are a bit different as to where the ogive starts.

https://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-OAL-Gauge-Straight-1Each/

https://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-.224-.308-Comparator-Set-With-6-Bullet-Inserts/

COplains
03-02-2014, 08:44 PM
The New Dimension dies, at least the ones I have, don't have a built in roll crimp, it has a taper crimp in the seating die if you choose to use it. Just sayin'. kb