PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Swap Question

Kansan
01-25-2014, 12:36 PM
Need some thoughts.

I am currently swapping a Stevens 200 .270 into a factory 25-06 barrel. First time doing this type of swap, but do have all the necessary equipment and youtube. My problem is that on the first go, the roll marks do not even come close to where they should be. I was under the impression since it was for a factory to factory barrel swap, they would line up close. As it is, the caliber roll mark ends up directly down.

Anyone have any suggestions? I think my OCD will drive me crazy if the address stays at the bottom :o

Thanks for any suggestions,

Kansan

RP12
01-25-2014, 12:44 PM
That's the nature of the beast when using factory take off barrels. You just have to deal with it. That's probably one of the reasons why after market barrels don't use roll marks like that.

Kansan
01-25-2014, 12:57 PM
One note, I did not remove the ejector from the bolt while setting headspace. Does anyone this this makes a difference?

Kansan

RP12
01-25-2014, 01:03 PM
One note, I did not remove the ejector from the bolt while setting headspace. Does anyone this this makes a difference?

KansanNope.

Kansan
01-25-2014, 01:52 PM
I may line up the roll marks to my liking and get a finish reamer. Larry Potterfield makes it looks so easy on Youtube :)

Kansan

RP12
01-25-2014, 06:22 PM
I may line up the roll marks to my liking and get a finish reamer. Larry Potterfield makes it looks so easy on Youtube :)

KansanKind of defeats the purpose of the barrel nut, no ? You may run into a problem with the front of the bolt lugs bottoming out on the barrel. you may have to machine off the back of the barrel the same amount as you reamed to keep things copacetic.

AZ_GUN_NUT
01-25-2014, 07:03 PM
My 110 in 204 Ruger is like that. Factory take off barrel from a Model 12. Roll marks are way off.
The important thing is that the headspacing is right.

Kansan
01-26-2014, 11:25 AM
Yeah, the bolt would bottom out on the barrel. I'm just going to restamp the barrel.

Thanks for the input.

Kansan

AZ_GUN_NUT
01-26-2014, 11:30 AM
If it really bothers you the best way to do it is have the barrel shaved and the chamber recut to get it to line up properly. It shouldn't cost very much to do.

Hammer
01-26-2014, 02:17 PM

Don't you believe that having the current caliber or cartridge on the barrel defeats most of the fun of a swap barrel gun ?