PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: 93R17 FV scope mounts

Hotolds442
01-24-2014, 10:20 PM
So my new rimfire came with factory bases. I had an old set of Weaver rings and a spare 2-7 Vari-X II so I decided to run with it. I mounted the scope, and shot it off the back porch at my 30 yard target. With the windage and elevation dials centered, I shot 2 rounds to zero it. Not a mark on the paper. Went into the house and checked to see if my collimater had a .17 cal. Spud, and it did. So I bore sighted the rifle, or attempted to. Both dials are now maxed out, the elevation reads 12" high on the bore sighter, it won't go any lower. The windage is 18" left of center and won't go to the right any further. I bought a new set of Weaver rings today, and put them on, and got the exact same results. So is there a problem with the factory bases? And are the scope mounting screws being drilled off center? I can believe the screws being off, but that much elevation correction is just crazy.

ejk24
01-25-2014, 03:47 PM
I have read numerous times on different gun forums that the factory savage bases are known to be inconsistent in machining . I have never had a problem myself though .

AZ_GUN_NUT
01-25-2014, 04:08 PM
Try swapping the bases front to back and see if that makes a difference? One of them might be machined a tad too high, guessing the front one?

You can get a set of Millet angle lock rings and that will help you with the windage issue.

Hotolds442
01-27-2014, 10:20 AM
Tried it, fail.
I'm gonna call my buddy at Leupold and have a one-off made for it, that'll fix the windage issue. I'll shim it if I have to to get the elevation right.

Hotolds442
02-28-2014, 09:09 PM
Well I finally got it on paper. I had a pair of vertical split Savage rings here, and a different scope. First shot after bore sighting was in the bullseye. For whatever reason, the factory bases did not like any type of Weaver rings I put on it. I put the 2-7 Leupold on a 7mag 110 using the same Weaver rings that wouldn't zero on the .17, and had it in the bull in 3 shots. I seriously have no explanation for the problems with the Weaver rings but I'm glad it was a parts mismatch rather than a warranty issue.

mikein
02-28-2014, 09:35 PM
The mounts on mine were stock as a rock, and the rifle dumped 5 into the bulls eye on the very first try at 50 yards; and hasn't stopped since! I'd say you must have gotten a bad set. Heck, as many of them as Savage has cranked out over the years, it's a wonder that the problem hasn't cropped up before. Glad you got it fixed; sad it happened, though.

Choeppner99
02-28-2014, 09:46 PM
I had a similar problem with mine. Was using Leupold Rings. Had to shim the rear mount to get it to work, but now it's shooting like a charm.

Rimfix
03-01-2014, 10:04 PM
The Burris Signature Vee rings (with offsetting inserts) were made to center (very close to) the scope so that practically all the elevation and windage will still be available to you in the field.

Here's a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcRAX5OLtJE

Rimfix.

Rimfix
03-02-2014, 06:38 PM
Y'all knew that I meant Signature Zee.....didn't ya"!

Brain fart,
Rimfix.

Hotolds442
03-21-2014, 08:27 PM
Finally got my Boyd's stock, and the Savage trigger guard, floorplate, and screws, all in stainless. Accuracy has improved considerably with the addition of the new stock.
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y471/chevypowrd/Rifles/4a10a07ea7254ee4ba1639cb2e7de42c_zpsd4a12f05.jpg

Maztech89
03-31-2014, 05:00 PM
It's actually fairly common for the bases to be screwed up from the factory from what I've seen on rimfire central. My 93r17 ones were fine for the rings I used but the MarkII I bought my girlfriend had bases too narrow for any rings I had on the shelf. Bought a cheap set of weavers from local shop and everything fit right up. I knew what it was immediately though since I'd read about it several times before and a quick measurement with calipers confirmed a significant difference in width between working and not.