PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody explain some of the DBM setups to me ?

tammons
01-24-2014, 06:47 PM
I am confused.
IE which ones take bottom metal and which ones dont.

I have an older long action flatback push button side release setup so I know about that one.

Right now I am trying to figure out what the factory round back SA 4.27 staggerfeed DBM stock and mag setup is.
Does it have bottom metal that clips into the action and what does the mag look like ?

Also top bolt release 4.4 short action. Does that one have bottom metal or is it like the bottom bolt release setup with aplastic mag that clips into the stock.

If I buy a Boyds 4.27 SA DBM stock what will I need to add ?

sharpshooter
01-24-2014, 08:01 PM
I am confused.
IE which ones take bottom metal and which ones dont.

I have an older long action flatback push button side release setup so I know about that one.

Right now I am trying to figure out what the factory round back SA 4.27 staggerfeed DBM stock and mag setup is.
Does it have bottom metal that clips into the action and what does the mag look like ?

Also top bolt release 4.4 short action. Does that one have bottom metal or is it like the bottom bolt release setup with aplastic mag that clips into the stock.

If I buy a Boyds 4.27 SA DBM stock what will I need to add ?

If you have a stagger feed SA (4.275") that was originally a DBM, it would be a side release, just like your older long action. I never have seen one that wasn't in a tupperware with molded in hardware. In other words, there was no metal to it. Some in the wood stocks used a plastic frame, but all it was, was a surround, it didn't have any function in containing the magazine.

The new 4.4 short action came with a center feed magazine that used a metal magazine frame,the later ones with a trigger guard bolt release.The mag frames on these 2 were slightly different to accommodate the respective trigger guards.
The latest version, on the Trophy Hunters and other models use the axis type "poly" magazines that either use a plastic mag frame, or it is molded in the stock.

If I buy a Boyds 4.27 SA DBM stock what will I need to add ? I'll bet that animal doesn't exist.....

RiverSink
01-24-2014, 08:13 PM
I agree with the above in (that animal) does not exist. I think you will find that your only alternative may be your choice of stock and have it inletted and add a CDI BM. Good luck with it Troy.

tammons
01-24-2014, 08:18 PM
I called PTG and asked if they were making any 4.27 bottom metal, and their response was we are making what we are making for now - LOL.

RiverSink
01-24-2014, 08:21 PM
Do you have a problem with CDI? I know they make a 4.27 setup.

tammons
01-24-2014, 08:31 PM
I just need a cost effective hunting setup so I can drop a mag when I go out onto a highway.
A complete CDI setup with mag costs about $350 with inletting although I have thought about it but for $350 I could just buy an Axis.
A similar setup like my side button on my long action would be fine but hard to find. I missed one on Ebay 2 months ago that sold for about $40.

RiverSink
01-24-2014, 08:34 PM
I agree, I am with you and would just keep looking for a factory setup for that application.