PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference? Model 10 vs 11 vs 12?

RHelton
08-30-2009, 11:08 AM
So what's the biggest difference that I need to know before I decide to buy a Savage .308 in either a model 10, 11, or 12? I'm looking at buying a 10FCPXP for $699.99 w/ a 22" fluted BBL but I can't understand (besides the barrel) why the model 11 w/ the same features is only $399.99.

Is there a major difference in the stock, trigger assembly, or firing mech. between the 10, 11, and 12?

pdog06
08-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Not sure what you were actually looking to buy, but here's the 10fcpxp on Savages website:

http://www.savagearms.com/10fpxp-hsprec.htm

Clearly not the one you were looking at. Maybe if you can link the models you were comparing we can help more.

In any event, the triggers are the same(except some 12's which have a lighter spring), and the only difference in the action is the finish(blued or matte). The model 11 is a sporter contour barrel and cheap synthetic stock. So the main differences have to be the barrel and the stock. The fluted barrel is probably a varmint contour.

RHelton
08-30-2009, 12:33 PM
The 10FCPXP seems to be a special package that Dick's sporting goods is carrying. I haven't been able to find in online or on either company's sites. It's got a standard synthetic stock (not like the one on the HS or LE), a 22" fluted bull barrel, detachable clip, and only 1 set of swivel studs. That's why I'm a little confused on where it sits between the other 10 models and the 11...

dfrosch
08-30-2009, 12:40 PM
I just bought one of the model 11 package rifles a few weeks ago. It didn't come with an Accutrigger, but a Stevens type trigger.

Does the model 10 have an Accutrigger or Accustock?

TexasTransplant
08-30-2009, 12:41 PM
If you click on the link to accustock on their front page, it shows which models come with accustock.

RHelton
08-30-2009, 01:09 PM
It (the 10fcpxp) does come w/ the accutrigger (down to 2.5 lbs) but I'm not sure about the accustock - I'll have to check. I'll try to attach a picture I took of it in the store...
http://gallery.me.com/rayhelton#100119/IMG00154-20090828-1551&bgcolor=black

RHelton
08-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Here's the link if you can't see the picture....
http://gallery.me.com/rayhelton#100119/IMG00154-20090828-1551&bgcolor=black

pdog06
08-30-2009, 02:05 PM
That looks like an accu-stock model, and a heavy-barrel.

It is comparable to the 12fv, but a different finish, better factory stock, and fluted barrel.

Far different than a plain ole model 11.

dfrosch
08-30-2009, 02:27 PM
The Accustock will have four screws on the bottom, the tupperware stock will only have three.

RHelton
08-30-2009, 02:30 PM
The Accustock will have four screws on the bottom, the tupperware stock will only have three.

Good to know dfrosch!!! Thx - that's the kind of info I need to know right now. So would you guys pay the extra $300 for this combo over a regular 11 model?

dfrosch
08-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Well, can't speak for the others, but history has shown that I'd buy the cheapest model. Then I'd replace the barrel, stock, bolt handle, recoil lug, trigger, trigger guard, scope and mounts. Some parts would get replaced a couple times. I'd end up spending double what the expensive model costs and have a pile of leftover parts. :D :D

But like Sinatra said "I did it my way".

Good luck,
Dana

pdog06
08-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Well, can't speak for the others, but history has shown that I'd buy the cheapest model. Then I'd replace the barrel, stock, bolt handle, recoil lug, trigger, trigger guard, scope and mounts. Some parts would get replaced a couple times. I'd end up spending double what the expensive model costs and have a pile of leftover parts. :D :D

Think plenty of us have went that route ::) :D

RHelton, only you know if it is worth it or not.

Personally, I really like the looks of it and wouldnt mind having it. Bad thing is I'm sure I'd wanna change the stock down the road ::) .( I now have a perfectly good 12vlp with about 100 rounds thru it, and I'm lookin at it figuring out which stock to replace the factory one with ::).)

-It is more expensive mainly for the accu-stock, so you gotta make sure you like that stock or it aint worth it.
-The heavy barrel will not heat up as fast when shooting targets or prarie dogs, but it is alot heavier if being used as a carry hunting rifle.

Queequeg
11-15-2009, 07:10 PM
The 10FCPXP seems to be a special package that Dick's sporting goods is carrying. I haven't been able to find in online or on either company's sites. It's got a standard synthetic stock (not like the one on the HS or LE), a 22" fluted bull barrel, detachable clip, and only 1 set of swivel studs. That's why I'm a little confused on where it sits between the other 10 models and the 11...

Greetings everyone. As this is my second post here I hope all protocals have been observed per my profile.

I hope the mods don't have a problem with my resurrecting this thread. It is the closest I could find that pertains to my searching regarding the Savage Model 10fcpxp mentioned above. I picked one up at Dick's and find that it A) does not have the externally adjustable accutrigger, B) is not an Accustock model nor an H.S. precision stock based on any of the profiles and photos I've thus far seen. It has a 22" barrel and a Tasco Mil-Dot type reticle scope. It ought to be fun to mil distances with this ::) but sometimes cheapo scopes surprise you! I'll worry about glass once I'm out of the dog house!

I like Savages for their build potential, though I admit to having very good fortune with the models I have in their "stock" configuration.

I'm just playing with it now and won't get to shoot it until next weekend at the earliest.

I find the stock, is pretty cheesy looking though it allows good clearance between the forearm and the barrel and is pillar bedded. I may bed this stock just to see if there is a benefit.

I am enjoying the reading I've done thus far and appreciate any comments those of you may have.