PDA

View Full Version : Nickel plated

Waceyf
01-24-2014, 09:47 AM
Can anyone tell me where I can find nickel plated brass? New or previously fired will work. I've been looking for close to a couple months now with luck only in bulk(25,000+ of one caliber minimum) I know I may get some criticism fir this as most seem to detour away from nickel plating but it's what I prefer and I'd really appreciate any direction on the matter. Thanks

snowgetter1
01-24-2014, 10:04 AM
Grafs reloading use to always have remington nickel brass, but it has not been in stock since the great craze started. You can set up an account for them to email you when it comes in though.

thermaler
01-24-2014, 11:30 AM
Can anyone tell me where I can find nickel plated brass? New or previously fired will work. I've been looking for close to a couple months now with luck only in bulk(25,000+ of one caliber minimum) I know I may get some criticism fir this as most seem to detour away from nickel plating but it's what I prefer and I'd really appreciate any direction on the matter. ThanksSpeer loads a lot of it's factory ammo into nickel-plated--I like their stuff so I don't mind buying their factory in order to collect the cases.

Waceyf
01-25-2014, 07:46 AM
Thank you gents(and/or lady if that be the case) I checked out grafs and they appear to have it in every case I need, however none in stock as you stated may be. I will sign up for email notifications. I quickly glanced at Speer's site and didn't see any loaded ammo advertised, however it may have been to me overlooking it, if not where else would I look? I will give the site a second look, don't mind shooting a factory load to get the nickel myself so if they have something it'll sure work.

thermaler
01-25-2014, 09:05 AM
Thank you gents(and/or lady if that be the case) I checked out grafs and they appear to have it in every case I need, however none in stock as you stated may be. I will sign up for email notifications. I quickly glanced at Speer's site and didn't see any loaded ammo advertised, however it may have been to me overlooking it, if not where else would I look? I will give the site a second look, don't mind shooting a factory load to get the nickel myself so if they have something it'll sure work.I buy their gold dot pistol ammo for my 44 mag--it's nickel plated--I'm guessing their other calibers are as well.

You didn't say what caliber you're were looking for--so that might help.

Waceyf
01-25-2014, 10:11 AM
22-250, 243, 25-06(case only), 6.5 Creedmor, 6.5x55, 6.5x284, 270 WSM, 280/280AI, 30-06, 300RUM(case only)..... Several

thermaler
01-25-2014, 10:53 AM
22-250, 243, 25-06(case only), 6.5 Creedmor, 6.5x55, 6.5x284, 270 WSM, 280/280AI, 30-06, 300RUM(case only)..... SeveralThey may be out there--but I'm not sure I'd want to routinely reload my rifle cartridges with nickel-plated stuff. I'm no expert--but here are my opinions:

The nickel-plated stuff makes sense for straight-wall pistol reloading because it's more weather resistant than conventional brass (think continuous outside belt-carry) and cylinder tolerances make over-all case sizing not as important as it is in resizing rifle cases with shoulder, head and neck flow issues. Some say nickel-plating tends to be more brittle--I don't know if that's been conclusively proven or not.

That said--I think some of the premium case makers such as Lapua put a mix of nickel (or zinc?) in the neck/shoulder area of their brass to strengthen that area. I find investing in these kinds of cases well worth the extra expense in the long run.

Waceyf
01-25-2014, 07:08 PM
While I appreciate your concern as I stated in the op I knew there would be criticism knowing that meant I had already done enough "homework" to come to my decision. For every rebuke of nickel plating I've found equal rebuttal by long term users of nickel plated brass lasting as long or longer in many cases. Again thanks for the advice but my decision was made long before this post.

thermaler
01-25-2014, 07:15 PM
While I appreciate your concern as I stated in the op I knew there would be criticism knowing that meant I had already done enough "homework" to come to my decision. For every rebuke of nickel plating I've found equal rebuttal by long term users of nickel plated brass lasting as long or longer in many cases. Again thanks for the advice but my decision was made long before this post.No rebuke intended--I actively reload nickel-plated myself, but there may be a reason why it's difficult to find in rifle cases and why you are finding that you may have to pay for big production runs. Good luck.

Waceyf
01-25-2014, 07:20 PM
My opinion is it's due to price as most would prefer to save a buck to go with brass, just my opinion. However it must be growing popularity as it's out of stock everywhere I stumble on it. I didn't necessarily mean your disapproval, just meant as a blanket on the subject in general.