PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor

GunDog72
01-24-2014, 08:10 AM
Hey guys, I have a Savage Model 11 in a .243win and recently I have been kind of curious how well a sound suppressor would work on it? My questions are: how much of a difference in muzzle flash and noise will it make, which one should I get, and how can I attach it to my rifle without doing anything that permanently damages the gun? Also the main reason I want to do this is for hunting crows, and coyotes. Thanks

LoneWolf
01-24-2014, 08:53 AM
Must have a threaded barrel #1, everything else depends on the quality of the suppressor.

Luke45
01-24-2014, 11:23 AM
I have used suppressors a whole lot. On 308s, 223s, 338 lapuas, and 300 blackouts. They are AMAZING. if you use subsonic rounds, it sounds like your opening a beer can. If you use normal ammo it will sound like a 22lr mini mag. They also reduce recoil because of the baffles inside them. and Zero muzzle flash.

Luke45
01-24-2014, 11:24 AM
and yes, you pay a gunsmith to thread the barrel may 75$ and it wont do any damage, screw it in when you want it and off when you dont

NVBighorn
01-24-2014, 12:28 PM
And don't forget the NFA permit, $200 tax and rules. Federal prison is not a retirement home or vacation destination.

GunDog72
01-24-2014, 06:36 PM
Ok, do yall have a specific suppressor you would recommend? Of course I want one that workd really well, but I don't want to break the bank on it either.

RP12
01-24-2014, 07:08 PM
I just want to thank you guys for not calling them "silencers" or "cans" . Kind of funny you get in trouble for making a gun "quieter" and you get in trouble for making a car "louder".

NVBighorn
01-25-2014, 12:11 AM
Do an ebay search for "solvent oil filter adapter" and then a youtube search for oil filter "suppressor".

aubie515
01-30-2014, 11:28 AM
It's not a "permit" it's a tax stamp.

Expect a very long wait...ATF time line is 15 months. I've been waiting nearly a year for my Thunder Beast 30P-1. This wait time is getting old fast.

I wouldn't get caught up in trying to find cheapest place to have barrels threaded...the threading job could be free, but you might not get concentric threads. Make sure you have barrel threaded by a competent gun smith. Not having concentric threads may cause baffle strikes.

There are a lot of good suppressor companies out there...decide on your budget and go from there. Direct thread on suppressors are the least expensive or you can go with a QD suppressor...I must warn you if you go QD...a lot of the QD brakes can run you $125 per brake, so can get pricey if you have multiple rifles.

I went with Thunder Beast because they are known for precision if that is important to your type of shooting. TBAC aren't cheap, but they have been offering a 10% discount off of MSRP from the lowest price you can find. I bought mine over a year ago and still waiting for approval.

Suppressors are great because not only do they reduce sound...you get the benefit of reduced recoil along with hiding your muzzle flash.

geargrinder
01-30-2014, 11:43 AM
You can cut the wait time drastically if you have a trust and file your Form 4 electronically. Wait times are being reported as just over 90 days.

geargrinder
01-30-2014, 11:50 AM
Do an ebay search for "solvent oil filter adapter" and then a youtube search for oil filter "suppressor".

Then you should do a google search for "How to Survive in Federal Prison".

missed
01-30-2014, 12:48 PM
You can cut the wait time drastically if you have a trust and file your Form 4 electronically. Wait times are being reported as just over 90 days.

I got mine in 85 days. Ross precision non mag and 22 suppressor.

geargrinder
01-30-2014, 01:20 PM
Just got my trust from my lawyer. Getting it notarized tomorrow.

Shopping for a Silencerco SS Sparrow for the rimfire, and a Harvester for everything else.

Uncle Jack
01-30-2014, 05:23 PM
Sorry...........what is a Trust?

uj

missed
01-30-2014, 05:30 PM
Sorry...........what is a Trust?

uj

Look up gun trust. It's a legal document that can handle the nfa items. The items become property of the trust and the people on the trust can be in possession of the trust items.

aubie515
01-30-2014, 08:21 PM
A trust doesn't really speed up the process. It allows you to bypass CLEO signature and does not require pictures. The whole trust route may be going away, so set up your trust ASAP.

My first suppressor only took three weeks from when I sent my check til my form 4 was approved. Second NFA item an SBS took 3 months and that seemed like a long wait time. These wait times now (at time I put mine in was 6 months) is going on a year.

The efile was being beta tested the efile system, which is why some efile guys got their approvals in around 90 days...it's still not the norm. It's BS for guys that have been waiting to be leap frogged by efilers...it's the same thing in the end.

geargrinder
01-30-2014, 09:15 PM
It does speed the process. My dealer said that all of his recent eforms are coming back in around 90 days.

Paper Form 4's are still being quoted as at least 9 months.

sharpshooter
01-31-2014, 02:00 AM
Got mine 2 years ago, it took 6 months. I've heard some guys got their Form 1's approved in 30 days.