PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle brake??

part Cherokee
03-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Hey
Do they make a muzzle brake for a sporter barrel Stevens 200?
Matt

TechHunter
03-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Muzzlebreaks can be installed on any rifle by a gunsmith. If you want an inexpensive one, look at Harrells muzzlebreaks. There are many others outthere.

part Cherokee
03-07-2010, 06:37 PM
What about the bolt on breaks? Are they safe?

TechHunter
03-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Not sure, never used one before. It would probably not be as accurate, even if you could buy one to fit your barrel's contour. Muzzleloaders should be installed by gunsmiths using a lathe to ensure concentricity. If you dont mind loosing some accuracy (as I am almost certain you would) then a screw-on might work for you. Last time I checked, the Harrells muzzlebreake was $39. Find yourself a local gunsmith to install it and you might be home free for about $140..maybe?

Good Luck.

Don - LongRangeSupply
03-08-2010, 11:11 AM
If you dont mind loosing some accuracy (as I am almost certain you would) then a screw-on might work for you. Last time I checked, the Harrells muzzlebreake was $39. Find yourself a local gunsmith to install it and you might be home free for about $140..maybe?

Good Luck.

Rarely does accuracy suffer with the proper installation of a well made brake and quite often it is improved. Since it does change the harmonics of the barrel you might need to tweak the load a bit.

cwop
03-08-2010, 04:53 PM
im sold on the harrells.

bob

TechHunter
03-08-2010, 10:50 PM
If you dont mind loosing some accuracy (as I am almost certain you would) then a screw-on might work for you. Last time I checked, the Harrells muzzlebreake was $39. Find yourself a local gunsmith to install it and you might be home free for about $140..maybe?

Good Luck.

I totally agree since the reduced recoil makes the rifle more controllable and the shooter less prone to flinching. A poorly installed muzzlebreak (or a lesser quality one) could affect accuracy, though.
Rarely does accuracy suffer with the proper installation of a well made brake and quite often it is improved. Since it does change the harmonics of the barrel you might need to tweak the load a bit.

Salvo
03-09-2010, 12:36 PM
I've had good luck with Magna-Port.

http://www.magnaport.com/