PDA

View Full Version : re-barrel questions

fostercd
03-07-2010, 10:07 AM
I plan to do a re-barrel and wanted to know what all I need to do and which gun I have is best for the re-barrel effort.

I want a 6.5 grendel LW barrel and it says it is compatible with Savage 10, 110, 112 (and I bet a whole lot more).

Here are the guns I have and which of these will work for my conversion (using the same bolt) and will I need to replace the
mag feed with new follower, etc.?

Stevens 200 in .270 long action (I prefer to use this gun if it will work since I have another 270 with Timney).
Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 short action
Savage 16 weather warrior in 308

thanks in advance!

dfrosch
03-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Hi foster. Welcome to the forum.

Please be careful about double posting. The mods don't like that.

The Grendel case is about a half inch shorter than a 308 case and has an oddball head size. Making it work in a bolt gun is doable, but there are more suitable cartridges. I'd suggest a 6.5 x 47 Lapua or 260 Remington.

If you absolutely have to have a Grendel and need a repeater, start with a short action. You'll need to get a custom bolt head. SSS can make them.

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

Feeding from the magazine will probably be a little iffy. Might be best to use a single shot follower.

Good luck,
Dana

fostercd
03-07-2010, 10:47 AM
thanks, I must have missed the rule on the posting. I put in both places because I have both Savage and Stevens models that could be candidates.