PDA

View Full Version : Savage 111 build help/advise

Mrt88
01-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Hey guys I just joined the forum been doing research over the last week I'm pretty new to the long range shooting and tatical style rifle builds I've always just hunted and bought what I needed to do the job

so my first rifle I bought a few years back was a savage 111 .270 win very accurate rifle my girlfriend just recently picked me up a remington 22.250 varmint sf and I scoped it and bi-pod I will be using that for some target shooting and also coyotes I'm 25 years old and im located in canada this is my first rifle build and spence I have a good donar for a long range rifle build that I want to try do all the work on my own i think my 111 will do the job.

so I'm seeking advise and opinions on which way to take and what caliber I can use with my .270 long action

so far I've picked up a used choate tatical stock that has been inletted for the factory DBM and bedded with devcon it is used but in perfect condition haven't got it yet but the pics looked great..was wondering if a cdi bottom metal will fit that stock with the in letting already done for my DBM

i plan on a new trigger probly a rifle basix sav2
rebarrel not sure which barrel or caliber I was thinking a .308 or a 6.5x55 swede my only downfall is I do not reload yet so I would like to build for somethingnincan buy factory ammo until I can afford my reloading gear.
Then of course a nice picatinny rail some rings scope, and a bipod

id like to get the krg bolt lift but I cannot find it anywhere in Canada and brownells or krg won't ship to Canada

thanks in advance guys
todd

NOOTKA NICK
01-23-2014, 01:02 PM
Welcome Mrt88, you can adjust your 111 trigger But don,t say I said so. Try CANADIAN GUNUTZ forums you can ask where to get what you need in the RIFLE section good luck N.N.

Mrt88
01-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Yes I'm also a member on CGN just looking at a savage only forum for more expert adviser here's a couple company's I can get everything from besides the krg bolt knob Maybe I have to just replace the orgional one

thanks for the info :)

Mrt88
01-23-2014, 08:26 PM
No one ?

Mrt88
01-24-2014, 09:01 PM
No one wants to help a fella out ?

Plowjocky
01-24-2014, 09:21 PM
Just what help you want? Bench rest?, Varmint? Hunting? or Just plinking, they are all different even though they do intersect.

scooterf79
01-24-2014, 09:31 PM
We need get an idea of what exactly you're going to use it for....you can build numerous calibers on that action from 22-250 to 338-06 and then some....

Mrt88
01-24-2014, 10:54 PM
Hey guys sorry about not specifying what it's for I want it to be a target shooting only gun I have a 22.250 already I will be varmint hunting with and will be picking up a new hunting rifle in the summer as this was my hunting rifle

would like to build it for 1000 yard not that I will be shooting there yet , also would like to be able to mag feed even if I had to pickup a new mag eventually will be upgrading to the cdi bottom metal over my stock DBM... As of right now I don't reload so I'd like to get something I could buy factory ammo for

thanks guys thanks in advance

shoalwater
01-25-2014, 12:12 AM
Since you don't reload, I would stick to something like a 6.5 Creedmoor, 308, or 3006, as good factory match ammo is available for these. All three of these round will get you to 1000 yds pretty effectively. Any of the prefit barrel makers McGowen, CBI, Shilen, Pac-Nor, etc will be fine as they all make pretty good bbls these days. McGowen outlet or a CBI from Jim at NSS will most likely be the fastest route while your at it, you can pickup barrel nut, recoil lug and all the tools you need from Jim as well. Base, rings, and scope all depends on your budget, I will say this, buy as much glass as you can possibly afford. You'll never hear someway complain about their scope being to good, but you always hear it the other way.

Mrt88
01-25-2014, 09:44 AM
Hey man thanks alot I just been hearing alot of conflict with mine being a long action and those being sort action cartridges and reading it shouldn't be a probly I'd like to be able to mag feed I'm not wanting a 30-06 target shooter as that's what I'll be picking up for my hunting rig I'd like to do the 6.5 creedmore or the .308 for sure would my mag still reliably feed ?

jpdown
01-25-2014, 10:53 AM
The 6.5 Creedmore and .308 will feed fine from from the standard LA centerfeed DBM you have (.270). These cartridges would be easiest and cheapest to find factory match grade ammo.

Mrt88
01-25-2014, 12:06 PM
Thank you guys very much, now which is preferred the 6.5 or .308 I see the ballistics charts and the 6.5 creedmoor seems to have less elevation drop and less wind age movement then the .308 though .308 would have more factory ammunition available and for now I could probly find a used varmint or bull barrel to put on until I can get a aftermarket even that would be worth it , leaning towards the 6.5 creedmoor for something a littler different though lol

also would a new barrel nut and recoil lug be a good idea ? The stock I have is bedded already I will ask the guy if he was using factory recoil lug !

Thanks again

Wildboarem
01-25-2014, 01:58 PM
I hope I don't hurt any feeling but the 6.5 creedmore walks all over the .308. Look at your ballistics app at a 10 mph full value wind at a 1000 between the 6.5 140 amax and the .308 175 smk. IT's about a 3ft difference. There is a lot of offerings in the .308 and is no way a bad choice.
Less recoil, better performance in reasonably priced match ammo.

Mrt88
01-25-2014, 02:07 PM
I was leaning more towards the 6.5 creedmoor because I'm going to start reloading as well so I won't be as limited to factory ammo

thanks for the advice I have no ballistics app yet just research online showed the .260 and 6.5 creedmoor had much less drop

also just being doing more research and the 6.5x55 is sticking out so I'm between the 6.5 creedmoor and 6.5x55 swede I kow there similar but the swede is a long action bullet and it will likely feed from the mag better then say the 6.5 short action shell ? Jut Andover question option !

shoalwater
01-25-2014, 03:42 PM
6.5x55 is a great round, but good quality match ammo is tough to find and usually fairly expensive. Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor match ammo is fairly easy to find, pretty cheap, and for most guns shoots lights out. It should feed just fine out of your long action.

Mrt88
01-25-2014, 05:46 PM
Ok my buddy has a 6.5x55 swede hunting rifle he just has the remington core lotk shells I can get just until I start reloading like I mentioned I will be reloaded by the time I start shooting this rifle so you guys think a 6.5 creedmore is my best bet ? Just been reading some people having feeding issues is it possiable to used a 308 mag in my action for tighter bullit fit ?

Mrt88
01-26-2014, 09:57 AM
Anyone else that can assure me the 6.5 is a better choice over the 6.5x55 and I won't have mag feed issues ? Lol that's the only thik holding me back on this caliber choice

jerry shaw
01-26-2014, 01:14 PM
I would go with a 6.5 creedmoor if you're comparing it to the swede. The creedmoor was specifically designed for what you're seeking to do.

The Hornady factory ammo is consistently accurate. They publish the recipe on the box. It's intended to be easy to load for.

I see no downside to that rig.

Now, you're going to need to ensure the barrel is long enough to generate the muzzle velocity you need to stay supersonic at long range. Don't go with under 26 inches. Get a 28 inch barrel if you can. That may be difficult.

I have had very good luck with the Shilen prefits from Northland.

Nobody I know ever said he wished he hadn't gotten a new lug or barrel nut. Can't prove it matters that much, but it's not a big investment if you're buying a new barrel.

Having said all that, I'm a big believer in .308 WIN. The 6.5 bullets typically have a higher ballistic coefficient and so slow down less as they move downrange. That's why they shoot flatter. I really don't believe there's a wrong answer between either of those chambering choices.

Good luck and have fun.

Mrt88
01-26-2014, 01:46 PM
Thanks for you input looking like a 6.5 creedmoor All the time