PDA

View Full Version : Break in

Pages : 1 2 [3]

darb
02-24-2014, 03:07 AM
If I dare answer your question that may have been directed specifically to Homefront; Darb, as I remember, the general consensus in this thread was that "break-in" is a waste of barrel life and time.

Having said that, Homefrontsniper's stated routine for break-in will be as good as any other and would apply to any barrel that you wish to apply the logic and regime to.

I have done it many times. Nothing wrong with doing so. I doubt I will subject myself or my new barrels to the routine again in the future, though.

does that answer your question? :) Yes. thank you

trimble s6
03-03-2014, 03:28 PM
I break in shoes, ball gloves, bats, women, saddles, and jeans. Barrels.................not so much. I screw it on and shoot. I would hate to have a coyote in my crosshairs and be contemplating whether or not to clean and repeat..........or risk destroying my barrel because I shot 4 times before I cleaned instead of three.

It's your money, do what you like...........but no one has ever shown me any kind of evidence that it does anything except eat up throat life.

Deerhunter 28
03-03-2014, 10:04 PM
I shoot and clean every 50 rounds at first .
Then 3 shot groups and clean maybe 10 times.
Then shot normal.
Just the way I have always done it.
Worked good so far.

goodolsavage
10-16-2014, 09:00 AM
...........but no one has ever shown me any kind of evidence that it does anything except eat up throat life.[/QUOTE]

YES! sorry for the late reply, my forum app wasn't working for a while. I have yet to see proof that breaking in a barrel actually does any good, your gun will break itself in and get more accurate after so many shots anyway, so why over clean it when you first get it?

homefrontsniper
10-16-2014, 10:16 AM
Someone needs to call mythbustes TV SHOW..... they like firearm's :)

goodolsavage
10-16-2014, 10:17 AM
Agreed

JTCrl
10-16-2014, 12:35 PM
Just did this with my new Shilen 223 shooting 55gn Bergers and H335.

Shoot / clean X 10

Shoot 3 / clean X 5

Saw a noticeable reduction in carbon fouling through those first 10 rounds. Saw the same thing when I broke in the Savage factory barrel. No noticeable difference in copper fouling but then in the Shilen there was hardly any there.

goodolsavage
10-16-2014, 01:30 PM
So in your opinion is there a real reason to "break in" factory barrels?

JTCrl
10-16-2014, 05:13 PM
Don't know I'd call it a "reason", maybe more of an "excuse". Just my personal experience from doing it a grand total of 2 times.

darb
11-16-2014, 12:35 PM
...........but no one has ever shown me any kind of evidence that it does anything except eat up throat life.

YES! sorry for the late reply, my forum app wasn't working for a while. I have yet to see proof that breaking in a barrel actually does any good, your gun will break itself in and get more accurate after so many shots anyway, so why over clean it when you first get it?[/QUOTE]
Good timing. I just ordered a barrel for my second build. I think I'll skip the procedure this time around, unless someone can explain to me how it is detrimental. Thanks for the reply.

D.ID
11-16-2014, 02:00 PM
Obviously opinions vary..........mine:
CLEAN IT FIRST.
Shoot once, strip copper with a copper solvent.
Shoot three, strip carbon with regular solvent and copper with a copper solvent.
Done.

barrel-nut
11-16-2014, 03:47 PM

D.ID
11-16-2014, 10:44 PM
I would recommend anyone asking this question to take a look at Rex's opinion on u-tube's sniper 101 series. He does a good job of explaining two opposing schools of thought and the reasoning behind them.

GaCop
11-29-2014, 09:09 AM
Initial cleaning, shoot it and have fun. Clean again when accuracy falls off. +1, the way to go.