PDA

View Full Version : Any way to counter static when loading?

JeepsAndGuns
01-22-2014, 11:37 AM
Wintertime around here I usally get plenty of static around the house. Every metal object I touch shocks me, etc..
I wanted to load some ammo today but couldnt because of the static. Even if I touch something metal to discharge myself before I walk up to the scales, it stills screws with them. All it takes is a few seconds of standing there to make it pick up my static and start reading off and start beeping it needs calibrated. I can zero it and it works for a few seconds then starts bouncing between zero and .4 and then beeps calibration. I calibrate it with the weights and this does not help. I could not even get one round loaded because of this.
I also have the problem of grains sticking to the funnel when pouring a charge into a case. I have to take it, run a little water through it, dry it out and then its good for a few loads, then the statick builds and they start sticking again.

Has anyone found a way to counter static when reloading? I do not have any of these problems in the summer.

drybean
01-22-2014, 11:46 AM
wipe you equipment down with used dryer sheets
works for me
drybean

03mossy
01-22-2014, 12:20 PM
wipe you equipment down with used dryer sheets
works for me
drybean

Yep what he said. I even store my powder despensers with dryer sheets in them.

Rick_W
01-22-2014, 12:45 PM
+3^^^

Rick_W
01-22-2014, 12:48 PM
Also - you might take a trip Radio Shack and look for an electronic grounding strap. It's a wristband that you wear that also attaches to a ground with a coiled cord - electronic technicians use them to ground themselves before working on sensitive electronic equipment. If your static is that bad, and you can handle wearing it, it will help.

82boy
01-22-2014, 12:51 PM
Dryer sheets will help, why don't you ground your powder measure? Just take a piece of wire, tape it to the powder measure, and run the length of wire down to the bottom of the bench, or a place where you can ground it out. Done this when out side, and just took a nail and drove it into the ground, and wrapped the wire, and it fixes the problem.

A few more suggestions
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/12/rcbs-chargemaster-tips-eliminate-static-for-better-performance/

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/11/reloading-tip-eliminate-static-cling-in-powder-measures/

snowgetter1
01-22-2014, 04:00 PM
A humidifier will reduce static too.

JackinSD
01-22-2014, 04:17 PM
Anti-static aerosol is another item you might try.

davemuzz
01-22-2014, 04:47 PM
+++ on the dryer sheets. Actually, I "scarf up" the once used ones. They work just as well and are not quite as "smelly" as brand new ones.

Dave

Rick_W
01-22-2014, 05:14 PM
Those dryer sheets also work really, really well (new or used) to clean bugs off motorcycles, helmet/shields & windscreens without scratching.

JeepsAndGuns
01-22-2014, 08:27 PM
The powder measure is all plastic, would taping a wire to it really do anything? But then I also run into the problem of where to hook the wire to. I have a wood workbench, carpet floor, pvc pipes. The only thing I could think of would be the actual electrical outlet. Would that even be safe to push a wire into the ground hole of the outlet? The two main slots are used up by the power adapter for the scale (they are 2 prong, not 3) so the 3rd hole is unused.
I had a few on another site reccomend a humidifier. Its hot and humid in the summer, and cold and dry in the winter, so that could explain why I do not have this issue in the summer.

I picked up some anti static wipes at office depot today. They helped a little, but it did not last more than 1-2 min. I may try some of the static guard mentioned in the links above.

sniper223
01-22-2014, 08:38 PM
If you look at the wall outlet, the screw that is holding the cover for the outlets is grounded. You can attach a wire to that srew for grounding purpose.

Aim4gold
01-22-2014, 08:44 PM
One wipe down with a dryer sheet wll last for years!

limige
01-22-2014, 11:04 PM
I had static issues with new stuff. Only thing that worked was washing with dish soap.

But your issue is bigger you need a humidifier. At the least start boiling water or run hot water threw the shower head. I think that's the only thing that will fix your issue.

82boy
01-23-2014, 12:13 AM
The powder measure is all plastic, would taping a wire to it really do anything?.

If it didn't I would not have mentioned it.

AZ_GUN_NUT
01-23-2014, 09:03 AM
The problem in the winter time is lower humidity which causes the static. I keep a humidity gage on my loading bench and do all my reloading around 50% humidity. I also run a dehumidifier to keep the humidity down in the warmer temps. As snowgetter1 said, run a humidifier and you won't have any issues.

missed
01-23-2014, 10:26 AM
The problem in the winter time is lower humidity which causes the static. I keep a humidity gage on my loading bench and do all my reloading around 50% humidity. I also run a dehumidifier to keep the humidity down in the warmer temps. As snowgetter1 said, run a humidifier and you won't have any issues.

Anti static mat on the bench and a wrist strap. Just like they use on electronics.

AZ_GUN_NUT
01-23-2014, 12:00 PM
Anti static mat on the bench and a wrist strap. Just like they use on electronics.

I have a buddy that almost lost his hand due to static discharge when a tube of primers when off while he was holding it. The mat and wrist strap are a good band aid but why not fix the problem the right way? If you have a problem with static electricity in your loading area what's to stop something else from causing an electric shock to happen?

Edit: I should have said electric discharge.