PDA

View Full Version : Can this been done?

shoalwater
01-22-2014, 11:21 AM
I have an idea (I know scary) rolling around in my head for and ELR cartridge. I want to take a 300RUM and push the shoulder, neck, OAL, etc., back by .2". This would give you a case OAL of 2.650, a mini 300rum if you will. All the same specs except shortened by .2". I would also probably straighten the taper out to about 10 to 15 thousandths as well. It would yield a case with about 105gr capacity and you would be able to seat the 230gr Bergers way out and still fit in a AICS or Accurate Mag. If my numbers are correct, it should be able to push those 230's between 2950 and 3000 out of a 28" bbl, making it better (drop wise) than a 338 Lapua to a mile.

How would I go about moving the shoulder back that far? Is it even possible?

I have a large shank stainless long action that I bought last year just for the purpose of building a 2000yd gun. I was going to build something in 338, but want something different and want to be able to mag feed it.

yobuck
01-22-2014, 01:26 PM
im not sure scary would be my choice of words for what your describing. dont take what i say personaly as i can assure you
it isnt intended that way. although i have been shooting large rifles to serious distances you describe for many years im no expert.
there are 2 things to consider #1 would be reaching the target. #2 would be hitting it.
not much point in reaching it if you cant hit it. probably about 20 years ago sierra introduced the 300 gr smk in 338.
since there have been others brought to market. during that period the shift has been away from 308 and to 338.
i know nobody who has gone the other way unless they own multible guns. wether or not you use a magazine or load singely
will have no affect on performance as you know. for about 30 years i owned several 30x378s with 36" barrels. with a 200 smk
my velocity was about 3500 fps. now for the good part. i also tried numerous times the 220 smk and the 240 smk.
at 1500 yds it was no contest with the 200 gr far and away the winner in terms of elevation. at 1 mile all 3 bullets would land
within a 36" radius. now were not talking energy, only elevation. the convincer for me was one day while on a lookout long range
hunting a friend who is also a well known gunsmith came by. he had recently built an improved version of a 338x416 for a guy
who happened to be with him. mv with a 300 smk was according to him about 3150. wasent long before a shooting match started.
it took him 6 minits less than me to reach a rock at 1500 and he did it on the first shot. i never did hit the rock but came very close.
i hit it first time with his gun also and so did others who were with me. that was about 15 years ago and now there are even better
338s for what your looking to do. but there are no better 308s and bergers wont change that by much if at all.
you can buck the facts if you like but your only kidding one guy. you want to see for youself come to pa and ill show you. better yet
you can show yourself.

LoneWolf
01-22-2014, 03:34 PM
I have to agree with yobuck. 338 edge or 338 edge+P is probably the best 1 mile cartridge on the market next to going with the 408 cheytac or 416 barret. And it's proven. If I had the space and money I would go 338 Edge+P.

shoalwater
01-23-2014, 10:40 AM
I know a 338 is really the way to go on this build, I just wanted something I could mag feed, as I will use the rifle to cull doe at long ranges occasionally. For that purpose, I just wanted to be able to load the mag, grab the rifle, and go shoot. I wanted to do a 338NM, but everyone says thats a no no on a savage action due to the rim diameter of the cartridge. The 338 Edge would do everything I want, just no way to seat those 300 Bergers out toward the lands and get it to fit in a mag. I guess I either have give up on using a Savage Action or give up some performance.

Did anyone ever do any testing of the 338 Sin with 300gr bullets?

LoneWolf
01-23-2014, 11:34 AM
If shooting out to a mile for hunting a single shot is fine. Most of the time you're only going to get one chance. If you get more than one in an open area the animal most likely won't really be spooked do to the sound dispersion at that range.

dk17hmr
01-24-2014, 12:30 AM
I shoot a 300wsm with a 24" barrel, 208gr A-max at a velocity of 2875fps. I run out of scope before I run out of velocity. There is a Leupold 8.5-25x VX3 sitting on a 50MOA base, the Leupold has 95 minutes internal and I am 6.5 minutes from being bottomed out. I have enough adjustment to get to 2000 yards before I start using the reticle for hold over....furthest I have shot it with a hit is 2163 yards....landed 50% on a 30x30 target.

If you look into a longer barreled 300wsm with Reloader 19 powder you can get 3000fps very easy with the 208 Amax. I have been up to 2950fps with my shorter 24" barrel and Reloader 19 with the 208 with 1/2 MOA accuracy at 500 yards.

I should probably add that I do most of my long range shooting at 6400' or higher, which helps a lot.

shoalwater
01-24-2014, 01:36 PM
I thought about a 300wsm, but it just doesn't have enough juice to shoot the 230's that I want to shoot. I want to be able to push the 230's between 2950 and 3000 and still be mag feed able. I think my version of a shrunk down 300 RUM will work. I have some brass and have a buddy that is going to cut .200 of a full length die for me to try and resize some and see what happens. Although I must say those are some pretty impressive numbers you are getting out of your WSM.