PDA

View Full Version : Steaming out dents...too late?

DgTerrell
01-22-2014, 10:17 AM
BACKSTORY: I decided that I wanted to make my new Boyd's walnut a bit darker, so I decided to take on a refinishing project. I recently managed to put some small BB sized dents into the cheek of the stock when I had it mounted on my vise and not having the jaws cushioned well enough (new vise purchased that day and forgot to buy jaw covers) I figured they didn't look that deep and I would be able to sand them down when refinishing. Well I have put my 3rd coat of winmax on and have realized that the dents were deeper than I realized and they aren't getting sanded out. I'm now ready to apply my tru-oil but really want these dents out.

So my question is, is it too late to go ahead and try and steam the dents out since I have already applied my stain and reached the color I desired? I'm worried that if try to steam it now, that it would discolor the stain in that spot. I wanted to ask for opinions because I've never done anything like this before and not sure what to expect. Thanks

mazda3gun
01-22-2014, 10:51 AM
I refinished my factory beech/birch stock with the same desire as you, to go darker. But, I sanded the snot out of mine before I even thought of staining. Not sure how the steaming works, I would venture to guess that it may pull out some color since the wood isn't sealed.
It's possible you may have to go back to square one... Besides that, dings, scratches, and dents show character. They let you know where that gun's been and what you've been through with it. I had a few blemishes show up after the fact while putting it back together and not paying close attention to my screwdriver's end and the silly dog's toenails....
Good luck!

CharlieNC
01-22-2014, 12:13 PM
I have steamed fully finished Browning shotgun stock successfully. Place a damp rag on the stock and apply heat with standard clothes iron on max setting to pull out suprisingly large dents.

SFLEFTY
01-22-2014, 01:20 PM
The fully finished part may be the important part here. If you just wait now and finish it plus let it set it should protect the stain.

01-22-2014, 02:13 PM
I would steam it until the dents were out or as close as I could get them (you may need to do it multiple times with "rest" periods in-between to allow the wood to dry and equalize some), then resand then restain then refinish.

If you're like me you'll be kicking yourself if you don't at least try. Good luck.

DgTerrell
01-22-2014, 02:44 PM
I went ahead and applied the first coat of tru-oil just a minute ago. I really didn't want to take the chance of possibility of messing up the stain and having to sand it all off. I was happy to see that some of you had done it with a fully finished stock with success. I googled a bit and saw there are some other success stories of doing it without having to remove the finish. If this was a older gun the dents wouldn't bother me, it's the fact I haven't even gotten to take it out yet is what irritates me.