PDA

View Full Version : Mike Rock is retiring!

jonbearman
01-22-2014, 03:03 AM
The new owners Lloyd and Kim have a business plan to get the barrels out supposedly and I wish them well.

jsthntn247
01-22-2014, 11:25 AM
Hope his health gets better.

Russell D
02-09-2014, 07:39 PM
Thank You for the blessing, may I ask how you heard that mike was retiring?

JCalhoun
02-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Say it ain't so!

Stockrex
02-10-2014, 05:38 PM
Who is Mike rock?

Wildboarem
02-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Who is Mike rock?

Was the owner of Rock Creek barrels. They do make or have made prefits for savage.

Russell D
02-10-2014, 10:12 PM
Rock Creek was owned by both Mike Rock and Kim Theiler; it's no mystery that mike's not in the greatest of health, when we were at 2013 shot show mike said he didn't think he'd be around for the 2014 show. Lloyd wiseman has been a long time friend of both Mike and Kim, and without getting into details Lloyd has taken over Mike's share of the company.

Please nobody be concerned of the survival of the company, because of Mike's health he wasn't very involved in the company for some time, the past year and a half most if his time was spent training a select few at the shop everything he could so it would survive in case something happened!

I am happy to say that in the 3-4 years I've been with Rock Creek we have never had more barrels being shipped every week and we have never had a workload even close to what we have!!

sinman
02-11-2014, 09:43 AM
The last barrel I bought from Rock was probably 2 years ago and it took me 13 months to get it, I would of liked to do a lot more business with them but not at that kind of wait time.

sa-shooter
02-11-2014, 10:04 AM
Was the wait worth it ? does it shoot as good as it should for waiting that long ? good quality hand-crafted products takes time, is it worth waiting for only you can decide on that and from the wait time I guess alot of folks think the wait is worth it.

sinman
02-11-2014, 11:39 AM
Wasn't any better than any of the Brux I have sold and used, I can get those in about 12 weeks so no it wasn't worth the wait.

jonbearman
02-11-2014, 02:04 PM
It was posted by a well respected gunsmith on another forum who is friends with Mike.

sa-shooter
02-11-2014, 10:22 PM
Wasn't any better than any of the Brux I have sold and used, I can get those in about 12 weeks so no it wasn't worth the wait.
Thanks, That is good to know

Russell D
02-11-2014, 10:38 PM
The last barrel I bought from Rock was probably 2 years ago and it took me 13 months to get it, I would of liked to do a lot more business with them but not at that kind of wait time.

Well I hope you will give us a second chance! I can guarantee that our wait times aren't nearly that long; unless something uncommon is ordered we are running about a 12-16 week wait. The 6.5's and 10 or 11.27 twist 30 cal's have been about an 8 week wait.

Wildboarem
02-11-2014, 11:01 PM
I can state that my wait for a .243 was under six weeks. I picked it up for build for my wife in September 2013, so not too long ago. Unfortunately UPS tried to deliver an empty box. Told Russel what happened, he contoured, threaded and chambered a new barrel an had it to me in about two weeks after that. CS is top rate in my opinion. I'd I buy a barrel from NSS or Sin or Mcgowen outlet, if something is wrong, if there is a problem how long will it take to resolve? Jim at NSS is gtg, but how much control does he have over his suppliers, CBI and Shilen. Nice thing about Russel at Rock Creek is that Russel is the one I dealt with, Russel is the one who made my barrel. No middle man, great CS from the one making the product. Ohh btw,their barrels just plain shoot. My wife's is under or at .5 moa with 3 different bullets and 4 different powders. Just awesome.

EOD350
02-12-2014, 03:22 PM
I have three RC barrels and another on order. I have had to wait a bit, but no more than others I have bought from. I like their barrels and CS.

jsthntn247
02-12-2014, 05:55 PM
I have a 7mm barreled action at Rock Creek now. I had problems getting it to shoot and it was copper fouling after 150+ rounds. I talked to the folks at Rock Creek and they gave me a Fed Ex number to send it back to them right then. They said they would get another blank made and chamber it for me and get it back out. Everybody makes mistakes but it's how you deal with the mistakes you made that make you a true professional. I can say that the folks at Rock Creek stand behind their products and are very professional. I will deal with them again when I need my next barrel.

WYcoyote
02-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Took 5 weeks for mine from request to delivery on a 6.5-.284 Savage pre-fit.
Shoots great, no issues, satisfied customer.
Thanks again Russell D.

masterblaster
02-28-2014, 06:55 PM
If you call them, talk to Russel, he will give you a good estimated lead time, and its not a long wait compared to others, have ordered from Rock, CBI and Mcgowan, Mcgowan is quickest CBI and Rock about the same for standard barrels, depending on barrel requirements the lead times should be well under 12 weeks.

shoalwater
03-08-2014, 12:29 PM
I have a 28" 300 RUM barrel on order form Rock Creek right now, Russel was great to deal with, and the wait time I was quoted is still considerably less than the wait on my last Pac-Nor. Plus they are going to go ahead and throat the barrel for Berger 230gr Target Hybrids so I don't have to have a smith do it here locally when I get the barrel. I am looking forward to trying this barrel out, as this will be my first cut rifle barrel.

J.Baker
03-11-2014, 02:24 AM
Well I hope you will give us a second chance! I can guarantee that our wait times aren't nearly that long; unless something uncommon is ordered we are running about a 12-16 week wait. The 6.5's and 10 or 11.27 twist 30 cal's have been about an 8 week wait.

You're skating on the verge of solicitation here Russell.