PDA

View Full Version : Heavy recoil Scopes

Pages : 1 [2]

n4ue
03-07-2014, 02:34 PM
I have about every brand of scope out there, except for USO, S&B, that price range. Yep, Barska to Burris, Bushy to Leupy. I like them all for their intended purpose. I don't expect a Famous Maker to measure up to a $600 scope.
However, I don't enjoy plinking with 308s and 30-06s any more.
I have a couple of Primary Arms scopes and they are great. I have been very pleased with Fujinon and VERY disappointed with a brand new Nikon Monarch.
I usually have several guys look through the scopes at various targets at different ranges. The Monarch went back because it was judged 'by the group' to be no better than the $70 Wally World (Centerpoint) scope.
If you worry about recoil, look at high end airgun scopes. I have a couple of Hawke scopes and they are awesome. Millett also impact tests every scope. I have a few Milletts and love them, although the 35mm ones are BIG....

Just a few random thoughts. Flame suit on.....

ron

mudpig
03-07-2014, 04:01 PM
I have 3 Millet scopes (2 TRS and 1 LRS). The LRS is a BIG scope but then its on a very big rifle and a boomer at that (338 Lapua in 110BA) and I've ZERO problems with any of the Millets. The ones I've got have been great scopes!

Stockrex
03-07-2014, 04:42 PM
No way good to know that, 338 Lapua has been calling me for a while :-)

COplains
03-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Update....well, here is where it stands. I added a Harrels Precsion tactical brake (for prone shooting) and stuffed a Brako mercury dampner in the butt stock, which really balanced out the rifle, and tamed the recoil nicely. This thing is an absolute blast to shoot. I found a place where I can lay out on a small rise and literally shoot to the horizon. The Pentax GIII has worked great. Now for the rub...I have had to go back to glasses for some indeterminate time cuz contacts are messing with my eyes. Doc said I could not even put them in to shoot with. The GIII scope and my glasses do not get along. So I'm hoping I can sell both of the Pentax I have, got a new GII in a trade I've never used, it's still sitting in the box, for a couple hundred and get a another scope. My problem is going to be eye relief with my bifocals. I want a magnification range from 6x to whatever with a 50mm objective to take advantage of the wide open range I can shoot it at. I'm still not going to break the bank for a scope, no reason too. I figure if I can get a few bucks for the Pentax's, add a couple hundred bringing my budget to around $400 it's all good.

So who's got the eye relief in a scope? I have one of the Simmons Whitetail Classics (when they were still good) I love but it is staying put. The eye relief on it, in addition to the simple no frills reticule, works well so I will be looking for something along those lines. It's a 6.5-20x50. Ideas welcome and thanks for all of your input, it's made things much easier. I just wish PA made the milmil in a higher magnification range, that would do the trick. kb

Deerhunter 28
03-15-2014, 10:59 PM
I think you skipped the post with the budget. Your almost 10x's our target price.

Yes I did .
Sorry