PDA

View Full Version : A pox on smooth barrel nuts I say!

Joetinva
01-21-2014, 02:45 PM
My 6.5 CM barrel will be in on Thursday so I thought I'd pull the barrel off the hog hunter I bought for a doner. Easy 15 minute job-NOT. My fancy barrel nut wrench with the little copper insert just slips, even snapped the bolt trying to get it tight enough. Guess I'll have to buy a pipe wrench or use my dremel. Just wanted to vent.

fgw_in_fla
01-21-2014, 02:49 PM
Smooth barrel nuts suck rocks. The few I've had to deal with were no match for the mighty 24" Craftsman pipe wrench.

And, add a good rusting over with that pox, I say.

missed
01-21-2014, 05:53 PM
Yeah they do! It doesn't help they have mongo putting them on at the factory!

gpb11
01-21-2014, 07:28 PM
"Mongo just pawn in game of life"

brasse
01-21-2014, 10:37 PM
Mongo is 6'6" and 295 pounds of solid muscle. The secret is to use a smaller pipe wrench with SHARP teeth. Whack it a couple of times and that smooth barrel nut comes right off........maybe.

I actually put a smooth nut (precision HD) back on
fancy barrel nut wrench with the little copper insert just slips

hcpyro13
01-21-2014, 10:46 PM
Once I realized what I was facing, I set it in a corner and added kroil every day or two for a week. Figured I had some time while I waited for a normal barrel nut to arrive. I gotta say, I may have been in trouble if I already had a new nut for mine, it bought me some patience. A week in kroil, a 12" pipe wrench, and a ball pein hammer and it all went smoothly.... so to speak. I wish you the best of luck.

Joetinva
01-21-2014, 11:20 PM
Well I got the thing off by making a relief cut with my dremel cut off wheel. Put the wrench on with a new bolt and one whack with a 2lb hammer broke it loose. It looks like there was red lock tight on the threads. Definitely will use the mighty Craftsman pipe wrench if I ever have the misfortune of encountering another.

ky-n
01-22-2014, 08:55 PM
Has anyone ever tried soaking it with acetone to dissolve the lock tight? I have used it on bolt knobs with great success.

missed
01-22-2014, 09:06 PM
Has anyone ever tried soaking it with acetone to dissolve the lock tight? I have used it on bolt knobs with great success.

Havent tried, loctite softens at 250 degrees so I just heat it with the torch.

bootsmcguire
01-22-2014, 09:47 PM
I have torn apart plenty of Savages and I have yet to see 1 have loc-tite on the barrel nut.

The barrel nuts are put on very tight to begin with at the factory, and then often the finishing treatments of the metal make it even tighter.

You could always try a little heat, but I have never needed it. A little Kroil goes a long ways.

drybean
01-22-2014, 09:55 PM
LOL I Just put one on a heavy bench gun
sure looks better

drybean

stoky
01-22-2014, 10:31 PM
It might be worth trying some rosin on the wrench. Brownells #083-016-100.
It's available in some sporting goods stores, by the ball bats.

defoxer
01-23-2014, 10:46 PM
I always wondered what Savage used to torque the smooth nut on with..... then I 'discovered' - Daishowa wrench (Japan).... what goes on must come off...