PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 Long Action

a.cassaro
01-20-2014, 08:52 PM
All

I am looking at building off of a 110 action in 300 Win Mag. I found a 30-06 donor rifle at a pawn shop can I simply just change the bolt head to a belted magnum bolt. I already have 300 Win Mag Barrel to use with action is it really that simple? Un-screw 06 barrel replace and head space 300 win barrel & change bolt to belted mag?

If so any issues with the way the bolt would lock up in receiver being new bolt? If its that simple I will buy. A local pawn shop has a accutrigger 110 30-06, I think I can get for 280.00, Looks like hell probably got left in rain at some point. barrel rusted but action is nice.

Please let me know, I may buy tomorrow.

Thanks

Angelo

sniper15545
01-20-2014, 09:05 PM
Make sure you change the bolt or bolt head before you head space, But other than that you got it. Maybe replace factory recoil lug with a heavier after market from Jim at Northlander or SSS.

a.cassaro
01-20-2014, 09:11 PM
Thank you... I will buy recoil lug from SSS and a new barrel nut, I just didn't know it was that simple

Thanks again

Angelo

Westcliffe01
01-20-2014, 09:27 PM
Are you sure the barrel shank sizes are the same ? I had the impression that the magnum cartridges had the large shank and the "regular" the small shank. I believe that the 7mm Rem Mag is the only magnum in the small shank configuration. The 300WM should be in a large shank(from the factory) unless it is a custom barrel.

Hotolds442
01-20-2014, 09:45 PM
Are you sure the barrel shank sizes are the same ? I had the impression that the magnum cartridges had the large shank and the "regular" the small shank. I believe that the 7mm Rem Mag is the only magnum in the small shank configuration. The 300WM should be in a large shank(from the factory) unless it is a custom barrel.
The 300 Winchester could be either. If the barrel is not stepped down right ahead of the barrel nut, then it's a small shank. My 116 in 300 WinMag is a small shank. My 110 in 7Mag is a small shank.
the WSM's, on the other hand, were mostly built in a large shank configuration.
more info available here......http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?127-Savage-Barrel-Shank-Sizes

You may also need to swap the magazine box to the Magnum box if you find you're having feed issues.

a.cassaro
01-20-2014, 10:02 PM

I know the 112 BVSS I have in 300 Win Mag is a small shank. The barrel nut measures .870 long so this would be a small shank. I think the ultra mags were large shank

Thanks

Angelo

geargrinder
01-20-2014, 10:17 PM
It would be very rare to get a 300win that was a large shank.

Hotolds442
01-20-2014, 10:21 PM
It would be very rare to get a 300win that was a large shank from the factory.

fixed it for ya

geargrinder
01-21-2014, 12:06 AM
It would be rare in any case.

Large shank long actions only came in the RUM actions. Not ton of them around. Even fewer folks that would take off a RUM barrel to screw on a 300win barrel.

Next came the Lapua actions. I doubt many folks have ditched their Lapua barrel for a 300win.

Newest large shank long actions are the 375 Ruger. These have only been available for a short time. Still, I can't see many folks using them as a 300win donor.

Last configuration I can think of, short action WSM's and PTA's. I don't recall seeing anyone running a 300win in their short action.

Hotolds442
01-21-2014, 12:27 AM
Wrong again. The Alaskan Hunter in 338 is built on large shank actions. I could easily see someone building a 300WM barrel for it. Like I said, rare from the factory in 300WM.

geargrinder
01-21-2014, 12:38 AM
I used the term "rare". My point is that it is not a common occurence at all. That's why I said "rare".

Yes, you can have a large shank 300win barrel made and make it work on large shank actions. It is certainly possible to be done, and I'm sure some have done it.

You are arguing apples and oranges.