PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me about your 10PC precision carbine 308, I'm thinking of buying one.

teddy12b
01-20-2014, 02:34 PM
I'm really starting to come around to the idea of the 10PC precision carbine. I like the idea of a heavier barrel, but not quite bull barrel, and I like that the 20" barrel length would be handy. I'm considering this rifle as a stand hunting rifle, but also as something I can stretch out at the range with. If and when I do buy one of these it'll be in 308 with the threaded barrel.

I'm a little confused on whether or not the 1 in 10" twist barrels have 5R rifling or not, but if I had to choose between the two I'd go with the 1 in 10" twist. I've never owned an accustock, but as long as it works (free floats), I'll be ok with it. The only thing I'd be planning on doing with this rifle would be to put a 20 MOA rail on it, a decent scope, a 10rd aftermarket mag or two and then go to the range until hunting season came around.

With all of that said, what kinds of groups are you guys getting with your 10PC's? Is there anything that you like or dislike about the setup? Do you have any regrets?

Westcliffe01
01-20-2014, 08:51 PM
I do not have one in 308, mine is a 223. But it is the most accurate factory rifle I have ever owned. Mine has the original "wedge" pre-loading system for the recoil lug in the aluminum bedding block and it does make removing and replacing the action in the stock more than a 2 minute job, but in my opinion it works just as intended. Apparently it irritated buyers enough that Savage eliminated the wedge a couple years ago. The profile is a varmint profile although it is of course about 6" shorter than the "real" varmint barrels.

Yes, it is handy. It balances well. The 308 will be lighter than the 223 given the larger bore and same OD. The stock is high quality, although it looks almost identical to the "junk" plastic stocks. I think that is why Savage came out with the additional model "LE" with the stock that is a plastic knock off of one of the Mc Millan tactical stocks, it is actually a very decent stock, so it helps if it does not look like a carbon copy of the junk that they sell.

When you say "stretch it out"... well how long is a piece of string ??? 600 yards is one thing, but I think thats about it with a 20" barrel. A 308 was not intended to be a 1000 yd rifle, unless you are only shooting at targets or vermin of whatever species.

The big thing is that it is a basic rifle with no particular weaknesses and they shoot well without needing to be worked on endlessly. So about the polar opposite of a Remington 700. Buy it, adjust the trigger, torque the action screws, load some ammo and go shoot.

teddy12b
01-21-2014, 12:03 AM
Every rifle I own I take to the range and see how dar I can hit steel with it. That's what I mean by stretchingit out. I had a DPMS 308B with an 18" barrel that could hit steel at 1000 yards and that was with a gas gun. Granted it never would have won any matches at that distance but it was fun to try for giggles.

Westcliffe01
01-21-2014, 12:15 AM
I agree. Doubt very much you can make a "first shot hit" rifle out of it at 1000 yards... But 600 yards is probably a different story. Good thing is that the magazines allow for some really long bullets. One might be forced to lengthen the throat a bit to seat them far enough out, but I very much doubt I will ever be shooting typical 150-180gr bullets out of my 308. I have been working on 185 Bergers and would like to try the 210's but they would definitely need the throat lengthened.

I just bought a Shilen 26" 1:8 Wylde chambered 223 barrel for my 10PC and am going to give the 80gr Berger VLD's a try in that. It is really a pity that Savage does not offer more barrel twists or even the option to buy the rifle with a match barrel from some select makers factory direct. If the 20" had been a 7 twist that would have been wicked.

squirrelsniper
01-21-2014, 08:41 PM
My 10PC in 308 is one of the early models with the Gen 1 (wedge) AccuStock and plain non-threaded muzzle. The reason I bought it is I basically wanted a "do-it-all" rifle that I could just buy factory ammo for and get the job done. I have a lot of rifles that are specific to certain tasks, and of course most of them require handloads too. I just wanted something simple for a change.

I bought the 10PC, put on an EGW 20 MOA base, SWFA SS tactical rings (couldn't find Burris XTR's in stock anywhere at the time), SWFA SS 10x scope, and ordered a case of 168gr FGMM ammo. I figured this set-up would do everything except maybe very close range hunting (due to 10x scope). I figured whether it was hunting or targets, the rifle could get the job done and it has so far.

I really consider this a 600yd rifle. I know it is capable of much farther, but there I get into the more specialized set-ups I mentioned earlier. However, I don't think 800yds would be asking to much, and a switch to 175gr ammo would probably get it to 1,000yds okay.

As for accuracy, I've never shot anything other than the 168gr FGMM through it, and I've never grouped it at any range under 200yds. At 200yds it stays in the .5-.75 MOA range depending on how well I'm shooting. At 500yds it's still holding well under MOA, generally staying around 4" groups or slightly under on a good day.

For what I wanted it for, it fits the bill just fine and I can't really complain about it.