PDA

View Full Version : 260 ai

Luke45
01-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Is it as simple as taking factory ammo ammo, fire forming, and neck sizing after that? or better to fore form using hand loaded 260 rounds? I've never owned an ackley but i'm kicking around the idea for my next build

jpdown
01-20-2014, 02:00 PM
Either factory or hand loaded 260 brass can be used to fire-form 260 AI brass.

stomp442
01-20-2014, 02:02 PM
Yep its that easy.

Cat 64
01-22-2014, 03:56 PM
Is it as simple as taking factory ammo ammo, fire forming, and neck sizing after that? or better to fore form using hand loaded 260 rounds? I've never owned an ackley but i'm kicking around the idea for my next build
Namely buying 260 regular rounds and fire them through the AI and then you will have fire formed your cases to your AI???

BillPa
01-22-2014, 05:20 PM
Namely buying 260 regular rounds and fire them through the AI and then you will have fire formed your cases to your AI???

Yep. The design of a true improved is the ability to chamber and fire the parent cartridge. You should be able to walk into any Mom & Pops clip joint, grab a box of 260 Rem ammo, chamber and fire it.

Bill

Cat 64
01-22-2014, 06:31 PM
Thanks. I am contemplating necking up my 243 cases since I have so many and I am ( for now) discontinuing that caliber. Then, (after annealing) I resize my 243 to a regular 260 case, load and go shoot... And miraculously at the other end I have 260 AI coming out correct? But later I need the 260 AI dies to load...hmmm...dilemma...then I need both dies....perhaps I can use the 260 AI dies in the first place. Just wondering out loud

scope eye
01-22-2014, 06:42 PM
You cannot form an AI cartridge buy using a die, you have to fireform it, I would rather use a hand loaded round to fireform, rather than a factory one, first you can really jam the bullet into the lands, which makes for a perfectly formed case on the first firing, or you can load them hotter and that also yields excellent results first firing.

Dean

Cat 64
01-22-2014, 07:25 PM
You cannot form an AI cartridge buy using a die, you have to fireform it, I would rather use a hand loaded round to fireform, rather than a factory one, first you can really jam the bullet into the lands, which makes for a perfectly formed case on the first firing, or you can load them hotter and that also yields excellent results first firing.

Dean

Dean, I get the part about fire forming. However, I see that there are specific dies for the 260AI which I would have to buy to reload for that particular cartridge. I will have to use those to "adapt" my 243 cases to the new caliber...I would assume running them into the FL 260 AI die with the expander ball. Then load them and after the first firing they would be fire formed. Is that accurate?

scope eye
01-22-2014, 07:44 PM
Yes that is correct, just get that 243 to hold a 264 bullet and chamber,and a controlled explosion will take care of the rest.

Dean

Cat 64
01-22-2014, 07:53 PM
Thanks Dean. Do you have experience with this round? I hear good things about it. Would a 30" (8 twist) barrel be suitable?

scope eye
01-22-2014, 08:44 PM
Yes I do have 260AI, I have a 26" inch 10 twist McGowen, I can shoot the whole range of bullets, but my bullet of choice are Sierra 85gr HPs, that I have tendency to send 3800+ FPS but that's me.

Dean

hcpyro13
01-22-2014, 08:47 PM
I have had great luck with a 28" 8 twist, the extra work forming is more than worth the reduced brass trimming. The long barrel will come into it's own when you use the slower powders.

bootsmcguire
01-22-2014, 10:19 PM
I have had great luck with a 28" 8 twist, the extra work forming is more than worth the reduced brass trimming. The long barrel will come into it's own when you use the slower powders.

How is it more work? I load up my brass and go shoot it. Use the same load I originally worked up for the AI chamber. Accuracy is almost as good as a formed load (plenty good for hunting deer and such) and I get perfectly formed brass every time. I have heard people complain about the extra work and always wondered what they were upset over. Just load virgin or annealed brass and shoot as normal.
Not trying to be a jerk and I hope I don't sound that way. Just never understood the "extra work" point of view.