PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Sticking Auto Cut-off

Brad W Wi
01-20-2014, 06:58 AM
My wife gave me my first mdl 99. She got it from a friend of a friend. I'm not a newbe to working on guns but this is my first 99. The auto cut-off seems to stick out way to far. The end towards the chamber sticks out from the wall. This is a cast part with an arm that fits over the carrier spindle. Numrich only shows a coil spring behind it and does not show the arm. This has a leaf spring. When I took it apart I pushed the cut-off in a number of times. It sticks sometimes. I don't know what letter it is the sn is 582xxx. Any ideas?????

Mad Dog
01-20-2014, 03:03 PM
I know they're a real bugger to pull out but sounds like it just got some dirt in behind it making it stick. Can you get any lube in behind at all? Is the spring broken and maybe a piece could be loose in behind as well?

Brad W Wi
01-20-2014, 04:42 PM
I've had it out and cleaned it good. But I'm having trouble with the nose sticking out and it stops the bolt from closing. Also if I push it in and the bolt closes it sometimes does not come out. I know it sounds simple and it probably is, I'm having a dickens of a time with it.

Mad Dog
01-20-2014, 06:49 PM
Ya, the 99's are a fun gun to work on. Haven't had to play with any of my cut offs before so I'm not gonna be much help to you. You could order a new spring and see if that helps out at all, might be putting to much pressure on the cut off if it's opened up to much.

Brad W Wi
01-21-2014, 07:39 AM
I think I found my problem the cut-off is bent. I'm shakey about bending and breaking it. It's cast.This one is not like the exploded drawings I'm seeing. Mine has an arm the piviots on the carrier spindle. Nothing like it in Numrich catalog. Any ideas on getting a new or used one??

Mad Dog
01-21-2014, 06:36 PM
Anyway you can show me the cut off?

Can you take a picture of it?

Brad W Wi
01-22-2014, 09:16 AM
I wish I could. But my wife is gone for another 2 weeks and I wouldn't know how to do it. Maybe someone else could.

Mad Dog
01-22-2014, 01:17 PM
I'm just trying to figure out what this arm is that pivots on the carrier.

Brad W Wi
01-26-2014, 03:51 PM
I replaced the cart. cut-off. Mad Dog, open the lever and when holding the gun it's the polished piece on the left. It's spring loaded.

bczrx
02-09-2014, 11:57 AM
Is it working properly since you replaced it? I have found that there are sometimes design changes based on years, and the parts diagrams on Numrich don't account for that. I don't know if that is useful in this instance, but it was critical in my Marlin 39a. I have found firing pins a major pain to find the right one in Numrich for my Savage 99.

So, let us know if the problem is gone, please. The cut off on the left side [looking from above, and behind/shooters position] is also the ejector on mine, so it has to stick out, but mine had a little 'tab' on the front that fit into a notch in the front of the groove on the left. That is from a 1958 99F.

What year/model is your Savage 99