PDA

View Full Version : 110 safety problem

Bearcat
01-19-2014, 10:29 PM
I have a Savage 110L that is 20-25 years old (bought new when I was 10-12). The wood stock was cracked so I replaced it with a composite one, and when I did so I figured I would go ahead and glass bed it at the same. After glass bedding it I replaced the trigger group (removed from action while glass bedding) and the safety wouldn't work right. I couldn't move the tang safety with my thumb, it was way to stiff, I would have to pry it back and forth with a screwdriver. Thinking it just needed adjusted I attempted to adjust the screw in the middle of the safety. Then the fact that the gun was owned by a kid on the coast came back to bite me, the screw was froze up and even after being soaked in oil I ended up rounding out the allen head. Not a big deal, I just ordered a new safety for $15. Only when I put it in I still can't seem to adjust it so it works right, if I have it loose enough so I can operate it with my thumb the bolt hooks on the front part of the safety and pulls it back to the safe position when you go to operate the bolt, preventing you from opening the bolt. (If you take a screwdriver and reach underneath the bolt you can hold the safety in the fire position and operate the bolt) If I tighten the center safety screw (not sure what it is called, but is the only screw in the safety) enough to prevent the bolt from catching and moving it when you operate the bolt, the safety is way to stiff to operate by hand. Not sure what I need to do to make it work right, I didn't touch anything but driving the pin out when I removed the trigger group, so am confused as to what I could have done to screw everything up.

While not a gunsmith I have did basic work, trigger jobs, replace and polish parts, glass bed etc., on a few rifles and a couple pistols, but haven't worked on a Savage before, except to adjust trigger pull. I am usually good at following directions, and this seemed like a straightforward job that I couldn't screw up, so am totally confused as to what I am doing wrong.

KRP
01-19-2014, 11:04 PM
You need to adjust the safety screw on the trigger also. The screw on the safety is to take up the slop between action and safety, the screw on the trigger adjusts it to the safety.

sharpshooter
01-19-2014, 11:19 PM
Also make sure that the safety bearing pin(the one that looks like a dumbell) is between the safety bar and the wavy spring.

Bearcat
01-20-2014, 07:15 AM
The safety bearing pin is in place, I know because I have taken the trigger group on and off numerous times now, and it falls out every time you release pressure on it. I have fooled with the two screws on the trigger (safety and overtravel) and have them adjusted so that the trigger works smoothly when the safety is in the fire position, and doesn't work at all when safety is in the Safe position. But haven't been able to figure out how to adjust stuff so that the safety is functioning and movable by hand, but not moved by the bolt. Is there a specific sequence of which screws you should adjust first, or anything?

KRP
01-24-2014, 01:59 AM
Logically you would adjust the safety to action first, then the trigger to safety.

scpaul
02-06-2014, 07:17 PM
I recently checked and adjusted my trigger/safety on a Savage 116 that I bought used.Seems like I googled "Savage 110 rifle trigger adjustment ". The info was very good and complete . nPaul