PDA

View Full Version : Atlas Worxs Review

SlimySquirrel
01-19-2014, 06:08 PM
Just thought I would review the Atlas Worxs Bottom Metal I had put on the Boyds Feather Weight Thumbhole.

The Main Reason for the purchase was the "Feeding Issues" I seem to have stumbled upon with both my SA Savage Rifles.

I wondered whether it was my style or that I was just unlucky when it came to my purchasing so, after some serious thinking I went ahead and I'm glad I did.

I have no experience with the CDI or other types of bottom metal. This being the case I can only comment on how this particular model has functioned.

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/SlimySquirrel/Savage%20Project%2022-250/285615020_zpsa88340aa.jpg

First Impressions

The Build quality is solid but again I have nothing to compare it with or too other than the factory unit and in comparison it is much sturdier and overall much easier to use.

Installing required a fair bit of in-letting (So I am told) and also a new "King Pin" as the factory one was too short
and the Featherweight stock lacked the depth to fully flush mount it so as a result it sits a little "Proud" but still very nicely done by Scotty at SSRNZ.

The Mag that comes with the unit is the Ruger "Accurate Mag" and it holds 5 Rounds and the Spring is really strong. The initial loading of rounds is tough due to the "Lips" being a little too close but a gentle filing sorted that out.
I believe any AICS type mag will also work.

The Unit comes with an adapter that means it can fit either the 4.2 or 4.4 which I think is a nice touch.

Function

As I said before, my "Style" of working the bolt seemed to be a little off when it came to the short action Savages.

I nearly always would stove the round into the bottom of the barrel by the chamber leading to clumsy fumbling around trying to get a round to feed and as I do Culling work this is really not helpful. This is far more evident when using hollow points and was particularly annoying as it eliminated those type of projectiles.

Thankfully, this unit has really smoothed things up and rounds feed at pace and I have not had a "Miss-feed" since.

Also, it clips in and slides out really smooth making access easier and far more reliable.

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/SlimySquirrel/Savage%20Project%2022-250/20140114_075723_zpscc154c87.jpg

All in all, a good purchase, it sit's "Proud" of the Stock, so, if you want a flush fitting mag, this is not for you but for the $200 NZD I paid for it, I am really happy as it has made my Savage Shooting much more reliable and fun.

Cheers