PDA

View Full Version : 6.5x55 (re) build finally complete

JeepsAndGuns
01-19-2014, 11:09 AM
Finally after over a year my (re) build is complete.

I started a few years ago wanting a 6.5x55 caliber modern rifle. I ended up deciding on a savage. I bought a left handed (cause I shoot left handed) model 111 in 270win. I pulled it brand new out of the box, pulled it out of the stock and sent it to douglas barrels and had them install a 28in 1in dia premimum air gaged barrel in 6.5x55. I put it in a choate ultimate varmiter stock and topped it with a ken farrel one peice base.
I will keep a long story short, but I found the scope base holes in the reciever were drilled canted to the right. I needed that fixed, so I contact SSS and have them fix the holes in the reciever, and go ahead and do a T&T, target accutrigger spring, and comp recoil lug.
I then decide to have the stock inletted by CDI and install their DBM. I found a pretty nice bolt handle on ebay. And then topped it with a scope I got from a gun show for a good deal. Yea its a china scope, but it looked like it had pretty decent glass. I guess I will find out if its worth anything once I start shooting it. Its a 10-40x60, so yea, pretty big...lol

So after probably two years since I stopped shooting it (sat in the safe for a long time before I decided to fix it) I finally have it back together and ready to start shooting again.
Pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/JeepsAndGuns/20140118_110636_zps97deb0da.jpg

Closeup showing the bolt handle and AICS mag

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/JeepsAndGuns/20140118_110805_zps114dc820.jpg

Closeup showing the CDI DBM and inletting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/JeepsAndGuns/20140118_110916_zpsc0d1083f.jpg

Now I just need to load some ammo and find some time to get to the range.

Aussea
01-19-2014, 12:15 PM
Nice looking project. Look forward to hearing how it shoots.

lonestardiver
02-09-2014, 10:20 PM
Looks good. I'm fixin to do the same...does the 6.5x55 swede feed out of a .270 magazine or do I need to alter it or replace it ?

Hotolds442
02-09-2014, 11:28 PM
It should feed just fine, and you'll have lots of room for long bullets.

JeepsAndGuns
02-13-2014, 08:02 PM
Yes it fed from the stock mag fine.
The AICS mag I'm using now is for 300 win mag, it feeds just fine from it after just a tiny bit of tweeking of the feed lips.

lonestardiver
02-14-2014, 08:47 AM
Excellent news

Elgin
02-14-2014, 10:27 AM
Nice looking gun!

Good to know about the mag. I just picked up an HS Precision with the Accurate Mag DBM for my 6.5x55, so now I need to pickup some 300wm mags. Once I get those and my new bolt (getting a fluted one just for the heck of it), and I can get mine together too.

d7cook
02-14-2014, 12:39 PM
I just built something similar and I found the Shilen barrel I used has the rifling cut much shorter than I expected. The COL required was about 3.025 with 140g SMK's. With some 140g VLD bullets it was 3.075. My first time out had less than stellar results with ammo loaded to 3.100. I hope to get out Sunday to try again with ammo seated off the rifling.

davemuzz
02-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Try seating (to start with) your bullets at 50-thousands off, and then 40-T, then 30-T. I seem to have my best performance with my 6.5 Swede's at 30-T from the lands, but when working up a new load, I start at 50. Also, I don't know what powder your using. I find my favorite is RL-22.

FWIW

Dave

d7cook
02-14-2014, 05:07 PM
Try seating (to start with) your bullets at 50-thousands off, and then 40-T, then 30-T. I seem to have my best performance with my 6.5 Swede's at 30-T from the lands, but when working up a new load, I start at 50. Also, I don't know what powder your using. I find my favorite is RL-22.

FWIW

Dave

Thank you for the input. I'm using IMR 4350 and just loaded a few at .025 off as a starting point to try this weekend.

davemuzz
02-14-2014, 11:48 PM
Give a range report when you get a chance to shoot it. Now, be aware that if your reloading your brass (if your reloading Lapua or Norma brass) and you get up in the reload count, you probably will get the neck "bubble" of brass that can (and actually will) cause your groups to open up. If you do get this, you will probably need to get a neck rheemer to remove that build up of brass. If you don't, you won't get a consistent brass pressure on your bullet. Yeah......ask me how I know.

Dave

Stockrex
02-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Dave, how may reload do you get till u hafs to ream?

davemuzz
02-15-2014, 03:13 PM
Rex....what brass R U using? I reload with only Norma or Lapua brass. Yes....at first you may think I have deep pockets. However, remember that I load for my modern action Savage at or just above the book recommended maximum, which puts the maximum stress on the brass. Now, with that fact known, I will get at least (I'm gonna guess here without looking at my li'l black book) 15 reloads minimum from each piece of brass. Win or Rem will only give me 5 or maybe if I'm lucky 6 reloads before they are trash. So, with the Lapua or Norma I will say about 5 reloads before I look "hard" for the brass bubble to begin to form. It's gonna happen....it's just when.

The "problem" occurs that if you just say...use a collet die, the collet die will not fully work on the entire neck because with the "bump" there, the collet will press or squeeze that, and the top of the brass neck, but that section in the middle will not be formed or pressed against the collet stem. Then you have inconsistent neck tension from when you worked up your initial load. So....your initial load was giving you teeny tiny groups....and now 6 or 7 shots later....your getting larger groups and your now mumbling too yourself saying "how can this be?"

If your F\L sizing you may....just may be OK if your neck gets compressed enough for the inside button to be touching the inside neck when you pull the brass back out. OTOH, if your chamber is tight, then that brass "bubble" may not let the case expand quickly and let the bullet release like it did when your brass had no "bubble." So...that's where the rheeming of the inside will help you out.

I know this is more than you probably wanted.....but I hope this helps. BTW...if you want to read a little of Forsters brain-washing on this subject, go to http://www.forsterproducts.com/store.asp?pid=26888 and that will give you a little more info on it.

Dave

Hotolds442
02-15-2014, 06:04 PM
That's some pretty good info, Dave.
looks like I'm gonna have to get set up to neck ream my 6x55 after I start putting rounds downrange.

JeepsAndGuns
02-19-2014, 08:02 PM
In my rifle, I have found (so far) the best powder is H100-V. I have shot RL22, IMR 4350, H4831 and IMR 4831. I think I even remember trying some RL25. Mine also seems to like 10 off the lands.
I just bout a box of lapua brass. I am currently working on fire forming it. So far I have only shot 20 rounds. Enough to get the scope sighted in at 100yds. Cold weather and static is preventing me from loading more. (static screwing with scales and static guard not helping)
I have heard of outside neck reaming, but not inside. Do you have any more info on this "bubble" you speak of? Any sites with pictures and info on just what to look for?

davemuzz
02-20-2014, 07:40 AM
Well, you can use Google to find a lot of different post on this matter. I have a book by Glen D. Zediker (difficult to follow his style of writing) called "Handloading for Competition" that has a good (long....but good) explanation of this.

Dave