PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Brass it sticking in chamber after being fired

dljenson
01-18-2014, 05:42 PM
This is the first time I've had a chance to shoot my rifle since I picked it up last week. I tried several of my reloads in my Savage 99C 308, every one of them stuck in the chamber. When I reload I do a full length size using my Lee 308 dies. I have to use a cleaning rod to knock them out, any ideas why they are sticking or is this rifle that finicky on ammo?? Also most of the different bullet types I tried did not want to feed in chamber, I plan on using 150 Gr Sierra BTSP bullets in my reloads for this rifle. Welcome all ideas,

stomp442
01-18-2014, 07:32 PM
Will the rifle eject shells fine before being fired? If so it may need a simple chamber polish. If not then it could be that the extractor is not working properly. Has everything been closely inspected and cleaned?

dljenson
01-18-2014, 11:07 PM
They would eject fine before being fired, never had a 308 do this before.

dljenson
01-18-2014, 11:08 PM
Does Brownells sell a chamber polisher that would work, or do you know a place where I can buy one?

Dirty Steve
01-18-2014, 11:27 PM
Do factory loads stick? If not maybe your loads are a bit too hot.

dljenson
01-19-2014, 11:22 AM
I don't have any factory ammo on hand, and never buy any. The loads I tried where not hot at all, I'm thinking what Stomp 442 said mite be my problem. I'm going to remove stock and bolt and see of I can clean and polish the chamber. If I can find some factory ammo I'll try that too. If all that don't work, guess I just wasted close to $700 bucks.

scope eye
01-19-2014, 11:36 AM
Check the headspace, some will say it has nothing to do with it, take my word for the time and cost it takes to do it there is no excuse, when the headspace is not right it creates all kinds of symptoms, if it is on the tight side loosen it up a bit, and if it is on the loose side tighten it up a bit, there is no rhyme or reason, it just fixes a lot of weird problems, or has sent me in the right direction to fixing the problem, by the way it is reacting to the changes in headspace, it's only time your call

Dean

dljenson
01-19-2014, 04:53 PM
Well I just took removed the stock and bolt from my rifle. I would say this had not been taken apart since it was new. The chamber was really dirty, I cleaned it the best I could, and unfired ammo was still sticking in chamber, not as bad but still sticking. Looks like I'm going to have to find a chamber polisher and shine her up. Any body know where I can buy one? Found the markings TC-10 stamped on the receiver and butt end of the wood, not sure yet what that means. Thanks to all of you for your help,

dljenson
01-21-2014, 11:26 AM
Well I Picked up a box of federal fusion 150 grain ammo, this ammo chambers just fine and extracts fine. Today when I get home from work I'll try and fire a few of them and see how they extract. One thing I did notice this type of bullet does not load very smooth out of the mag the bullet point seem to catch on those sharp edges right below chamber. Anybody else have have this trouble, if so what did you do to solve it? I have a new mag coming, could be the mags not sure yet.

dljenson
01-21-2014, 07:07 PM
Test fired 4 of the factory rounds and they worked very good, so good thing I ordered the RCBS 308 small bass dies. I'll just have to load up 308 ammo separately and slightly different for the 99, then the rest of my 308 rifles. At least I know the rifle functions, and with the few new parts I ordered she will almost look new. NOW I want to find myself a 1955 Savage 99 in 308. :becky:

MacDR
01-24-2014, 11:22 PM
Seems a common issue for the 99 in 308. I had my chamber lapped and problem went away. Let us know how you make out with the small base dies. Pay attention to your case heads. My headspacing is just within specs so I only kiss the shoulder back just enough to get a little resistance on lock up. Works fine for me.

jonbearman
02-12-2014, 07:42 PM
I have found that the 99's require a small base die inicially to bring the brass back to sammi spec,usually once you do this you can fire it in that chamber and just full length size it.Used brass could have been fired in a bigger chamber hence the no extract issue.You are on the correct track now and enjoy one of the best thought out rifles ever produced in the world.It was way ahead of its time.Its so good bill ruger collected them and copied the rotary mag for his rifles.