PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Shot Show

Willy
01-18-2014, 10:14 AM
What happened to Savage at the gun show? Nothing new at all??

J.Baker
01-18-2014, 01:51 PM
From what Charles told me - nada. I haven't seen anyone else post anything on youtube or elsewhere about anything new from Savage either so clearly that's the case this year. Not surprising really given how busy they've been this past year and their struggle to increase production while still maintaining quality (something I kinda feel they're slipping on).

Hotolds442
01-18-2014, 03:36 PM
From what Charles told me - nada. I haven't seen anyone else post anything on youtube or elsewhere about anything new from Savage either so clearly that's the case this year. Not surprising really given how busy they've been this past year and their struggle to increase production while still maintaining quality (something I kinda feel they're slipping on).
After handling a B Mag today, I'd have to agree with your last sentence.
If that's the best they can do, there's gonna be lots more than the Stevens 200 dropping from their lineup in the future.
I'm really surprised that they have been completely silent so far.

BoilerUP
01-18-2014, 04:36 PM
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/allfirearms/

Handful of "new" items there that weren't there earlier this week...though pretty vanilla.

J.Baker
01-18-2014, 04:39 PM
You have to remember that ATK purchased Savage this past year so there's probably been a lot of small things changing here and there in how they do things. They've also produced significantly more firearms this last year than they have in any year in the past, so even if the percentage of "defects" that slip through stayed the same from the previous year the total number will still go up significantly. I do suspect however that (as is usually the case) the harder/faster you work to get more product out the higher percentage of said product will have defects and I think that's what's happened with Savage this past year and that 3% ticked up to 4 or 5% or whatever - just throwing random numbers out as examples.

As for what's new on the list, that's just some new lipstick for the same old pigs.

SFLEFTY
01-18-2014, 04:59 PM
It's not quite the same, but take Fred and Lisa's situation x 1 million. Think also about the barrel makers, how some have slipped through. When a bunch of us customers are hungry we are hard to please. FWIW, I worked at a local dealer a short time, and they got a Beretta O/U that got out without side ribs on the barrels, and that was when things weren't crazy.

Willy
01-18-2014, 11:31 PM
I can get a Wby S2 synthetic for $50 more than a Savage 111 FCNS, and the Wby stock looks like a million dollars compared to the Savage, well, ok, maybe just a slight exaggeration, but the Wby stock is much nicer.

Hotolds442
01-19-2014, 01:05 AM
I can get a Wby S2 synthetic for $50 more than a Savage 111 FCNS, and the Wby stock looks like a million dollars compared to the Savage, well, ok, maybe just a slight exaggeration, but the Wby stock is much nicer.
And it's imported from where?
With the same money you're spending on your Japanese made Weatherby, I can buy a 114 American Classic with wood that would put your Weatherby stock to shame, and support the US economy at the same time.

Willy
01-19-2014, 10:06 AM
Interesting point; I never really considered the wood model before because wood can get easily scratched and damaged dragging it through the bush. It would be $135 more but that's not that much. Hmmmm (My other option I had been thinking of was a Tikka.)

BTW, I have far more Savages than anything else in my cabinet, only two Wby and one of them was bought used. And....my vehicles have never ever been imports, and I hope never will be either. Wonder how many guys here can honestly say that.

scope eye
01-19-2014, 10:22 AM
I am also a Weatherby fan but it has to be a mark V, But I love my savages and can only afford savages, what does a guy do, he rebarrels them to Weatherbys 257,270, and 300 and I lived happily ever after, They end.

Dean