PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Looking for scope mounts for vintage savage 99

300savagehunter
01-17-2014, 12:04 PM
Hello everyone. I am new to SavageShooters. This is my first post. I am looking for a set of scope rings for an old savage 99 that I bought. It is an old 1936 or so R model that has been drilled and tapped for a set of scope rings that have two screws that are not in line with the bore. They are actually perpendicular to the bore of the gun. I saw a set on a 99 a long time ago and thought they would be more common but I can't find them anywhere. These rings do not use a base for mounting rather they flare out at the bottom and sit on top of the receiver and use 2 screws (one left and one right of center line) to mount. I would sure like to buy a set of these if anyone has a set to sell. Thanks

Mad Dog
01-17-2014, 03:12 PM
Sounds like a set of old Weaver U mounts.

300savagehunter
01-17-2014, 03:37 PM
Mad Dog, thanks a bunch. You are exactly correct and I have just stopped looking for a set of these because you have to use a straight scope on the objective end and remove the eyepiece from the other end just to get the scope in these "u" mounts. To heck with that! I just talked to a machinist friend and he said he would drill and tap it for weaver bases for me. Thanks again.

Mad Dog
01-17-2014, 11:05 PM
All good, I have a set here but your right, they're a pain in the butt.