PDA

View Full Version : First post... possible new build

mataboy098
01-17-2014, 01:13 AM
Hello all. I have been reading a few posts and have become interested in modifying my recently purchased Savage 111 trophy hunter chambered in 7mm rem mag.
I was looking at the Choate stocks and was confused as to which one to order... and also I would like to re barrel to something a little heavier with a break..Any suggestions?
Thanks for your help in advance. I have been enjoying reading the posts here and look forward to starting a new hobby.

Luke45
01-17-2014, 01:06 PM
I bought a choate tactical varmint stock not too long ago, its a great stock and easy to shoot and is aluminum bedded. hard to beat for 200$, but it is ridiculously heavy if you want to pack it around. It probably weighs about 4 pounds on its own! But i didn't mind because its on a long range varmint build. Im not familiar with the sporter type choates, but i do know bell and carlson medalists are hard to beat for a hunting stock and the money, as well as houge.

As for barrels, depending on how heavy you want to go, a 26" pre fit is hard to beat for ease of instillation.
-criterion light varmint contour is great(light enough to pack around but still stiff)
-Mcgowan and shillen varmint contour or magnum contour are also good.(varmint will be pretty heavy though)
These are all good for under 500$. when you get higher up there in price i dont have experience with them.
Any of these can be threaded afterwards for a break or ported for pretty cheap.

Hope this helps!

mataboy098
01-18-2014, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the help Luke.

mataboy098
01-18-2014, 07:32 AM
I'm away from my rifle (traveling for work), but would I have a center feed or stagger feed.

jonbearman
01-19-2014, 09:56 AM
If it is a newer rifle then it is centerfeed.Just look at the mag box and if the cartridge sits right in the middle waiting to be chambered it is a centerfeed.If it is offset it is a staggerfeed.