PDA

View Full Version : Got the 450 finished today

chunk
01-15-2014, 09:53 PM
Well we successfully changed the axis 308 into a 450 bushmaster. Yeah!! Now ive got a feed problem with 308 mag and the 223 mag. Anybody got any suggestions as to what will work?

bootsmcguire
01-15-2014, 10:11 PM
You are using a 308 CF mag to feed for the 450BM correct?

My 450BM is built on a Stevens 200 SA-CF with a blind mag of course and feeds great with a 308 family magazine. I believe the Axis use the same follower and mag body, I am guessing your feed issue is failure of the bolt to push forward the next round, and the bolt just travels over top of the next round. Correct?

chunk
01-15-2014, 10:44 PM
I should have been more descriptive. My problem is the 1st round feeds fine but the second and 3rd hit the feed ramp right at the bottom and hang up. I'm thinking maybe I should do some cleaning on the ramp. All 3 round catch the bolt correctly.

LoneWolf
01-15-2014, 11:17 PM
You may need to open the feed lips up slight at the forward portion of the mag to get the round to more of an angle for feeding. My 308 Axis has this issue with my Snap Caps that are replica's of like a short loaded 147gr. I don't have any issues feeding the longer 168gr and up.

bootsmcguire
01-15-2014, 11:53 PM
What bullets are you using?

I am using the 250gr FTX right now in factory ammo and I think the pointed tip helps a lot with the feeding. Something I had to do with mine was in the corners of the opening in the action for the mag well there was a sharp edge that would sometimes catch the mouth of the brass, and I had to clean it up with a dremel and file.

Keeping the feed ramp clean will greatly help feeding with any round, and you can try to open the feed lips as Lonewolf suggested as that could help also. If you are going to bend the feed lips do it carefully as the mags are kind of like spring steel and don't always like to be bent very far.

If all else fails, you could use a dremel and try rounding the very bottom edge of the feed ramp to remove the sharp edge. A little bit can make a big difference.

snowgetter1
01-16-2014, 01:39 AM
Mine will not feed the the last round out of the CF mag. That is with FTX bullets. I think the XTP would feed just the first round and it would not feed lead 255 gr flat nose at all. It is on a single shot striker now so I can't test it for you.