PDA

View Full Version : Reasoning as to why not to lap lugs?

Jason161
01-15-2014, 06:33 PM
According to http://www.savagegunsmithing.com/Accurizing_Savage_Rifles.htmlThey say they do lap the back of the bolt lugs in the action like a remingtomn. However I read on numerous different forums that you should NOT lap them as it could make accuracy worse! Trying to get some info on this as I am about to get my first savage and I was planning on doing some of the lapping and stuff as well as bedding myself. I would like to stay under my budget and dump the 200 into optics rather them a true job from sss. I'd love to do it but probably just put some jewlers rogue on it all and work the actions few thousand times to get any grit and burrs out. Anyone able to give me any advice on this? Also I saw a action true kit that had a reamer and stuff to true the face of the action and threads and help pressure on lugs for bolt etc, from midway. Do they offer some type of jig or kit to do this on a savage? That I could probably afford and I enjoy doing stuff mhself like that. Same reason I had to build my own custom 1911 hehe.

sinman
01-15-2014, 08:11 PM
I wouldn't lap your lugs and expect to see anything different. Savage uses a floating bolt head to make up for some of the differences in machining. I would take anything with a grain of salt from that place, they want $719 for a new barrel and $329 for "truing" a rifle. Nothing like tacking on another $300 on a barrel.

Jason161
01-15-2014, 11:07 PM
True. I figured as much. Just wanted to ask. The free floating bolt face seems to be the ticket. I'm glad I didn't get the Remington 700 tactical I was going to get. Saved a bunch of headache from the sound of things lol. Not that they aren't good.