PDA

View Full Version : Older stock? Try this.

bluealtered
01-15-2014, 09:45 AM
While logging on this morning i took a look at the post "proper torque sequence for the accu-stock" It is pretty much for the first gen but the fact is that both 1st and 2nd gen use the pressure from the side rails to help lock the action in place for improved accuracy.

If you have a older savage "tupperware" stock you can do the same thing by adding a layer of epoxy to each side of the stock where the action sits and gain better accuracy. I have been doing this for many years and have shared it here in the past here.

I know everybody thinks you have to bed the bottom of the stock but you just end up most of the time with a thin skin which should tell you that it was already good before you started, most older stocks have a gap along the sides of the stock and action about the thickness of a buisness card and that is all you need to fill in to make it shoot better.

I start by roughing up the area i want to fill in and then put a piece of tape to stop the epoxy from going any further in the stock and a piece at the top outer lip of the stock to catch it there, (i lay the stock on it's side and do one side at a time). After it cures i simply use part of a paint stirring stick with sand paper around it and sand as needed, i do fit the action to the stock many times while doing this to make sure i don't go to far with the sanding.

You are only trying to wedge the action in there when you tighten down the stock and action just like the accu-stock does. Good luck

RP12
01-15-2014, 10:35 AM
I have done that with aluminum tape instead of epoxy, just ad strips of tape till you get a good snug fit.