PDA

View Full Version : HELP - New Savage 11 Hog Hunter .223 issues

SavageRifle
01-14-2014, 11:14 PM
I unboxed it and discovered that the bolt wasn't entirely assembled. Item #12B, the Rear Baffle Assembly was lying next to the bolt. I slipped it on. I assume that's not something I need to be concerned about.

But when I went to put the bolt into the gun, the cocking piece pin is situated such that the bolt can't close all the way and rotate down to close. ???

I just brought the gun home and it's really let the air out of my enthusiasm. The Rear Baffle being off plus the bolt being unable to go forward all the way and rotate has me concerned.

RP12
01-14-2014, 11:21 PM
You need to re cock the bolt. I place the cocking button on the side of my counter and pull down on the bolt assembly to re cock mine.

thomae
01-14-2014, 11:21 PM
the bolt is in the fired position.

Place the bolt so that the cocking piece pin is on the edge of a table (no, not the antique mahogony table in the sitting room!) or hardwood scrap, press down on the bolt so that you move the cocking piece pin up the angled ramp and over the detent. Now it is cocked and you should be able to insert it into the rifle.

To make it easier, you could loosen the BAS almost all the way. Don't forget to tighten it up when you are done.

SavageRifle
01-14-2014, 11:30 PM
Thanks guys. Really. I'll try that. I take it that I shouldn't be concerned that the Rear Baffle Assembly was just lying in the box apart from the bolt.

RP12
01-14-2014, 11:37 PM
If I remember right they can be popped off without disassembling the bolt. It must have just come off inadvertently. Nothing to worry about.

Westcliffe01
01-15-2014, 12:08 AM
Sounds like standard USPO or Fedex handling to cause it to fly off. I watched a guy from Delta airlines throw a flatscreen TV in the box at least 6 feet onto a conveyor taking cargo into the hold of an aircraft. I was sitting directly over the cargo door...

SavageRifle
01-15-2014, 03:46 AM
Thank you RP12 and thomae. I mean that.

It worked. And it's all assembled now.

Thank you again.