PDA

View Full Version : Wood for Hog Hunter 308

appmountain
01-14-2014, 01:15 PM
New guy here.

I've searched all over the forum looking for an answer and can't find anything concrete.

I have a new Hog Hunter in 308.

I want a lightweight wood stock for hunting. Don't want a thumbhole.

Do either the Boyd's Classic or the Stocky's Heritage Classic fit the barrel contour of the Hog Hunter?

Any body got any pics of their Hog Hunter after adding a wood stock?

Big thanks for all of the info on this board!!

TheTomcat
01-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Boyd's Classic FOR SURE does not fit the Hog Hunter. Don't let them tell you otherwise. I'm stuck with one now because they assured me it would fit. The barrel contour is the least of your problems. The action screws don't fit and neither does the magazine. I ordered a Varmint Thumbhole which should come in Monday. I know you don't want a thumbhole but I think it's the only one that fits this particular rifle.

BoilerUP
01-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Boyd's Classic FOR SURE does not fit the Hog Hunter. Don't let them tell you otherwise. I'm stuck with one now because they assured me it would fit. The barrel contour is the least of your problems. The action screws don't fit and neither does the magazine. I ordered a Varmint Thumbhole which should come in Monday. I know you don't want a thumbhole but I think it's the only one that fits this particular rifle.

Did they send you a staggerfeed stock?

trowby
01-20-2014, 07:03 PM
I too was curious about what stock would fit best, I was debating between the thumbhole and the prairie hunter. Anybody have problems with it going into a prairie hunter? Thanks for asking the question app. mountain, I'm also a newbie.

TheTomcat
01-20-2014, 08:00 PM
Got the Varmint thumbhole in today. Dropped in and the screws fit! Now the mag doesn't sit right and the bolt won't feed. Small problem. Dropping it off at the gunsmith in the am. Said it will only take a couple days to get it back.

Sgtdww504
01-20-2014, 10:44 PM
Has anyone tried the Boyd's tacticool I'm thinking of ordering it for my hog hunter

foxx
01-21-2014, 11:06 AM
Tacticool should work if you confirm screw spacing. Get bull/varmint contour and blind mag.

TheTomcat
01-22-2014, 06:47 PM
Spacing doesn't fit according to the guys at Boyds. So, I dropped off the Hog Hunter Yesterday with the new Boyds Varmint Thumbhole to the guys at the Gun Shack in Helotes, TX. They were finished fitting before I got home last night! The action is smoother than before and the fit is perfect. I can HIGHLY recommend these guys. Firing this Saturday and hope to take some pics. Didn't intend to highjack this thread, just trying to save you some pain and suffering!

RiverSink
01-24-2014, 10:56 PM
I do not understand the problem, a HH is a 4.40 centerfeed blind mag semi heavy barrel. There is no reason that you should not be able to get a tacticool that one will drop into.

Jason161
01-25-2014, 10:56 PM
I have seen many posts of hh's with tacticool stock on them. I plan on getting one when my HH gets here next week.

Sgtdww504
01-25-2014, 11:03 PM
I will have my stock on Monday so we shall see

trowby
01-26-2014, 04:11 PM
I'm also replacing the stock on my hog hunter and considering a Boyds stock. I'm leaning towards a thumbhole and I'm thinking about converting it to DBM. My current plan is to get their model 11 s/a top bolt release model with detachable mag and buy a accurate mag bottom metal kit. The only problem I see is that they only sell that in a factory barrel version so the barrel channel may have to be opened up. This is my first attempt in customizing a rifle, so what do some of you guys with experience think about this idea? Sorry if I'm hijacking thread. I also see that eabco has a similar stock that is pillar bedded, but $80 more and have a option to widen barrel channel for extra $$$. Just looking for some friendly advice.....thanks

foxx
01-26-2014, 04:29 PM
The barrel channel in the featherwight thumbhole is too small to open up enough for the hog hunger barrel. Perhaps the varmint thumb hole will work but always confirm screw hole spacing.

Correction: Maybe it is large enough to allow the HH barrel. Website says it could be opened up to accommodate varmint barrels, but not bull barrels as wide as .875" My factory 223 varmint in the model 12 is .942". You'd better verify barrel's outside diameter before ordering.

If you decide it can be opened up, it is easy to do with sand paper and a dowel.

trowby
01-26-2014, 04:53 PM
Thanks foxx. Looks like the Boyds wouldn't be a option with this plan but I went back to eabco and this is what they say:

" Barrel Channelled to Fit 12FV Barrel Contour - These stocks come with the barrel channel cut to fit a factory Savage 12FV barrel contour. This is the same as our EABCO Savage Accuracy Barrels contour. It's a heavy varmint style that contours to .800" at the muzzle. This barrel channel fits barrels that size or smaller without any modifications. Barrels with a wider contour will need to have the barrel channel widened (Call... We can do this for you at addtl cost)."

Would the Hog hunter barrel be considered a heavy varmit style? If not anyone know the dimensions.....thanks.

foxx
01-26-2014, 05:14 PM
In case you missed my correction, Boyds said it would allow up to .875" barrel. If I were you I would start a new thread asking someone who has the HH what it is. Should get an answer quickly.

trowby
01-26-2014, 05:23 PM
I did miss it and thanks a lot for the advice.