PDA

View Full Version : Do Accutriggers "Wear" Faster than Conventional Triggers?

01-14-2014, 11:38 AM
OK, another newbie question from a first-time Accutrigger owner.

Just got my 12 F Class target rifle and the Target Accutrigger is SWEET straight out of the box.

However, when I was reading the manual last night, I came across this material:

"WITH ANY MECHANICAL DEVICE, SURFACES
WILL WEAR WITH USE. AS A TARGET PRECISION
TRIGGER, THIS MAY BE MORE EVIDENT
AT THE MINIMUM SETTINGS (SEE PARAGRAPHS
BELOW). IF THE ACCURELEASE
BEGINS TO BLOCK THE SEAR CONSISTENTLY,
ADJUST THE TRIGGER RETURN SPRING
TO INCREASE THE PULL SLIGHTLY. A QUARTER
OF A TURN WILL BRING THE PULL UP
BY A FEW OUNCES.

Unlike our standard centerfire AccuTrigger, minimum
trigger pull is not the point where the large
coil contacts the top surface of the trigger and you
detect resistance (see FIGURE 28).
Minimum trigger pull is established by adjusting
the trigger return spring (“A”) until the trigger
requires a greater force to pull than the
AccuRelease. This can be established by repeatedly
turning the adjustment tool (“B”) clockwise
(with the action upside down – trigger pointing
upward) until the trigger can be successfully pulled
without the AccuRelease blocking the sear. This
can then be considered the minimum trigger pull."

It's a shame that our lawsuit-happy society has made manufacturers so terrified that they have to repeat all the standard gun-safety warnings 150,000,000 times in a simple owners manual, and it's also a shame that they have to "hedge" their every word in these manuals to try to avoid liability...but with all that in mind, my question is:

Is there something about Accutriggers in general – or the Target Accutrigger in particular – that makes them "wear" faster than conventional triggers? And if so, will they eventually "wear out" or need servicing by a gunsmith sooner than a conventional trigger?

Or is all this language simply the standard liability boilerplate essentially saying, "Be careful with light target trigger pull settings because you don't have to pull the trigger as hard to make the gun go off"?

The reason I ask is, I've always dry fired my Model 70 and M98 rifles – as a way to practice – without fear of any wear. My understanding was always that you could dry fire these rifles a million times a day from now until the End of Time before you'd appreciably wear the trigger or striker or bolt. Is that not the case with the Target Accutrigger?

Sorry for the long post, but thanks in advance for any insights.

RP12
01-14-2014, 12:22 PM
I think their talking about the parts "wearing in" not out. Those triggers are touchy. The parts will meld together just like any parts will. Once they establish a wear pattern, you'll be fine. I think their just talking about smoothing out the rough spots with use. Yes they are lawyering up. Maybe their just saying you shouldn't set it to the very minimum until thing settle in ?

01-14-2014, 01:42 PM
Thank you, RP12, the instruction manual language makes a lot more sense now, in light of your comments.

I suspect your explanation nails it on the head.

pitsnipe
01-14-2014, 03:02 PM
And I think they are telling you that with that "breaking in" you could experience a sear trip= Accu blade doesn't move when you pull on it. Just have to re-cock the weapon. And you are back in business. Most often (in my experience) this "fine line" of a sear trip occurs when the bolt is closed fast and hard. Then, as they state, the trigger pull weight can be increased ever so slightly to overcome this tendency for the sear to trip.
Welcome to out of the box sub MOA fun.

Snipe

FishinFool
01-14-2014, 10:09 PM
1.618..... you Lucky Devil!!

I have the hots for one of those sticks but can't swing it. Will have to stay with barrel-swapping on my 12 BTCSS.

ACCU-TRIGGER "tripping" without discharging weapon will also happen when you don't Pull DIRECTLY Back on trigger surface. If the let-off is set to a light weight and you are inadvertently "sideways pushing" the trigger at all it will dramatically increase this (IMHO) One & Only Accu-Trigger "special behavior"...$&@?!!

Otherwise, it is a really nice trigger.

01-14-2014, 10:54 PM
Thanks fellas. I appreciate all the information. And I hope I don't drive y'all nuts with a million "Savage newbie" questions.

I'll search first, promise! :-)