PDA

View Full Version : Savage Target Action

Mike220
01-14-2014, 01:00 AM
Having a shilen savage prefit chambered In 300WSM select match 30" finished length large shank. Can this be made to work with a savage target action and a prefit barrel without any machine work required? Can you change out the bolt face and firing pin assembly and make this work? Ive heard people talk about thread engagement problems as the barrel not screwing far enough Into the action amongst other problems. Can this be done and done right? Im on a budget. Was going to buy a 16 weather warrior rifle already In 300 short mag. Any advice/help please.

moecarama
01-14-2014, 09:48 AM
I dont think you will have a problem with the aftermarket barrel mounted to a target action. I picked up a 30" 1:12 twist target barrel from the classifieds and it mated up fine to a (pawnshop donor ) Model 11 300wsm action. The intent was to rechamber it to 300wsm; then I changed my mind at the last moment.The bolt head and firing pin will probably have to be changed to the short action magnum configuration. I have heard that Sharp Shooter Supply has those items. I had to go a different route to obtain a magnum bolt head ,but used the same firing pin ;I also reset the firing pin protrusion . I am almost finished with a 300wsm on a small shank with a rechambered .308 1:10 twist barrel.
There are some builds from a model 16 and other wsm actions being built, in the same manner as refered to in your last sentence. They sold the sporter barrel and stock to offset the cost and installed a match grade barrel in the length and contour of their choosing.
I almost went that route but wanted a lighter build to hunt with also.

Hotolds442
01-14-2014, 10:03 AM
Just make sure that the bolt head you go with is for the center feed. The controlled round bolt heads for the stagger feed mags had the standing ejector mounted at the rear of the receiver, so that method may require machining.

bootsmcguire
01-14-2014, 12:51 PM
Yes you will need a Short Action Push-feed Magnum bolt head (aka Push-feed WSM bolt head) and the proper firing pin assembly. The pin is longer because the Savage factory WSM bolt heads have thicker lugs and so that makes the head slightly longer and necessitates a longer firing pin unit.

You can make a Magnum Short Action Push-feed bolt head that will work with the standard Short Action firing pin. All you need to do is buy a Long Action Magnum bolt head and have the stem shortened to the Short Action head stem length. Most any machine shop should be able to handle the task and it should be a minimal charge. It would most likely be cheaper and easier than trying to find a true WSM head/pin setup.

Mike220
01-14-2014, 02:19 PM
If I get an actual wsm head and firing pin from shooters supply then that should eliminate any maching or fire pin reset?

bootsmcguire
01-14-2014, 02:45 PM
If I get an actual wsm head and firing pin from shooters supply then that should eliminate any maching or fire pin reset?

No machining needed, but you may still have to set the pin protrusion. You won't know until you put it together.

Mike220
01-14-2014, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the Info. Local gun shop quoted me 547 before tax for a 18184 target action. Seems a lil high to me. Also what stocks would you recomend with built In bedding block. Do not want to bed the action. More times than not Ive seen folks not happy with rhe results

Hotolds442
01-14-2014, 04:25 PM
I would pony up the $15 membership here and grab the WSM action that's in the classifieds now. It already has everything you desire except the target trigger and would be ready to go without any changes, plus he's got a dura maxx stock for it too.