PDA

View Full Version : Help with my long range build please.

Pages : 1 2 [3]

foxx
01-21-2014, 12:03 AM
Don't underestimate the SWFA SS variable or fixed. It is WAY underpriced relative to the competition. Reasons for that are many, but primarily b/c of distribution channels and business model. The fixed 10x, 16x or 20X are EXCELLENT scopes. NO one can compete for the dollar. They are NOT cheap scopes. They are high quality, affordably priced. Well worth every bit of $600.

If you can afford the variable, I would HIGHLY recommend it, also. That same scope by any other mfr would be priced well over $1,000. When you say it has fewer features than the viper, what features are you referring to? Know that there is also someone selling zero-stop shims for the turrets. They are $10-20. Bottom line is they are durable, have excellent tracking, good hash mils as you said you wanted and excellent clarity, brightness, etc.

Jason161
01-21-2014, 12:28 AM
The viper is illuminated which I read helps when zoomed out and the reticle gets smaller, and yes the zero stops.. I read that the SS scopes are made by tasco and everyone says tasco sucks, so that kinda threw me off however I know its not in the same caliber as the cheap tascos. Just like primary arms, its a China scope but much better then the cheap ncstar and tascos.
I could afford the variable at $699 rather then the vortex at $950. Is the 3x15 enough zoom To shoot out to 1000 yards?

foxx
01-21-2014, 12:33 AM
I don't shoot 1,000 yds, so I can't say.

Also, I do understand your concerns about "Tasco". Don't let that throw you, though. I am not sure they are made by them anymore. Regardless, even when they were, they were NOT "Tasco" quality. I have 2 20x's and they are superb.

limige
01-21-2014, 12:38 AM
you are correct he did say that. he is also seeking advise on shooting out to possibly 1000 yds.
fact is the difference in any of the cartridges mentioned only amounts to a couple clicks on the dial
for his intended use. if its an education he wants theres no better choice than a 308.
just walk in and buy a very good one.

Actually your wrong. Shooting long distance bc is your biggest factor you can control. That is why most long range guys will gravitate to the 6.5's unless you really need the extra energy down range.

Remember its all about the wind and how stable your round is.

Jason161
01-21-2014, 12:58 AM
Yes, true. That is already settled though. I'll be going to 260 eventually but don't want to upgrade to another scope when I do, well I don't want to HAVE to. I just would love to hear anyone recommending the swfa ss 3x15 out to 1000 yards. Or something similar to this or the viper PST 6x24 without the $1000 price tag.

foxx
01-21-2014, 01:08 AM
I don't know anything about 1,000 yard shooting, but would also like to hear what others think about using fixed 20x for 600-1,000 yards... reason being, if 20x fixed is enough, I would like to hear from others who shoot the SWFA SS 20x at 1,000 yrds

Jason161
01-21-2014, 01:36 AM
I'm looking at the 3x15 swfa ss model, so is 15x enough? The 20x is enough I've read on hide that the swfa 20 is solid for 1k but I want a variable.

limige
01-21-2014, 02:43 AM
Well I run the vortex HS-T 4-16x44 on my hunting rig and like it but I would probably look for more magnification if I were shooting 1k all the time. For 5-600 yards I like it.

CharlieNC
01-21-2014, 11:31 AM
Jason a major determining factor is what type of target will be at 1000 yards? If it's an F-class target with 1MOA bull then you want high mag, at least 36X and a variable would be preferable to dial down when the mirage is bad. On the other hand if 1000 yard steel, like 12"x12" tactical shoots, then 15 or 20X mag maximum is the ticket since you must spot your misses in the scope and adjust; in this case a fixed power is fine and reticle graduations matching the turret is nice. I have a Bushnell Tac Elite 6-24 which is a good compromise, but higher mag would definitely help a lot for 1MOA at longer distances. I like the fixed mags to get the most bang for the buck, but if you plan to shoot a wide range of targets then variable is the way to go.

Jason161
01-21-2014, 01:42 PM
i will be shooting tactical practical precision matches. So varying ranges of targets as well as steel. I dont plan on shooting benchrest. I def. need a variable powered scope, I know that much. I just dont want t be guessing at 1k yards where i am shoooting as I can hardly see the target. i think it might be a good deal to just save up for the viper PST as it has everything I could want and then some, just its a little bit more expensive then I wish to spend. I hope I can manage to get it before April when I get to take the rifle clinic!
Appreciate any suggestions though, keep them coming!