PDA

View Full Version : Help with my long range build please.

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Jason161
01-14-2014, 12:34 AM
Are the stock iron sights easily removable on the hog hunter? I really dont like those. Thanks for info. The 10fp has a nicer stock though. I hear bedded its perfectly usable in a 1k yard rifle. Although eventually I'd want to updrade to a mcmillian a5 or so!ething similiar looking, not set on mcmillian.

Hotolds442
01-14-2014, 12:49 AM
Very easy to remove. They're screwed on. If you're already planning on upgrading the stock, then you're not really missing anything with the stock difference long term.

Jason161
01-14-2014, 01:37 AM
True true.. Is this limited in any way as far as stock options or parts compared to the 10?
I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why people would go with a 10fp or similar when you can get the same with the 11 hog hunter And have money to make it why you want left over. What am I not seeing here?
I was hoping to find a 308 Stevens 200 but decided on the 10 FP but this has me really thinmimg now! Is this barrel good enough with a nice bedded stock to compete in a 1000 yard match? For fun !

Jason161
01-14-2014, 11:45 AM
I've been reading some and come to the conclusion that the 20" barrel is capable, and there are some stock choices that I like. I guess this would be no different then starting with a Stevens 200 but with a better stock barrel. The savage 10-FP has a decent stock and I wouldn't mind keeping it for a while, and from what I understand it has a better barrel width, heavier, then the hog hunter and also 22" instead. Hard choice as I do want to eventually get a new stock, but I want to be able to shoot out of box really well, not sure if the hog hunter barrel is capable of 1k as its not a heavy barrel like the 10-FP. I know the 20" is fine for it. Anyone else weigh on for me here?

DanSavage
01-14-2014, 09:59 PM
I'm pretty sure that the 10fp's trigger can be adjusted down to 1.5 pounds, the hog hunter 2.5 pounds, not much difference. If I had to do everything over again I would get the hog hunter as a base rifle and build off of that.

Jason161
01-14-2014, 11:51 PM
I appreciate your input! From what I read the accu trigger is the same. I don't think they have different accu triggers. I could be wrong though. I am going to pull the trigger on the hog hunter and also with the money I planned on the FP I'm going to get the Boyds tacticool stock as its close to the USMC mcmillian stock in looks but fits !y budget. Although it says it's for a bull barrel, well its not listed unless you select bull barrel, I'm not sure if the hog hunter barrel is a bull barrel?

foxx
01-14-2014, 11:54 PM
I appreciate your input! From what I read the accu trigger is the same. I don't think they have different accu triggers. I could be wrong though. I am going to pull the trigger on the hog hunter and also with the money I planned on the FP I'm going to get the Boyds tacticool stock as its close to the USMC mcmillian stock in looks but fits !y budget. Although it says it's for a bull barrel, well its not listed unless you select bull barrel, I'm not sure if the hog hunter barrel is a bull barrel?

Tacticool with bull barrel inlet will work fine. It is also avail with sporter barrel. either way it is easy to open up if necessary.

Hotolds442
01-15-2014, 12:03 AM
It will fit just fine with the hog hunter barrel. You won't need to open the channel.

Jason161
01-15-2014, 01:03 AM
Thanks guys. All set and buying it tomorrow and ordered stock. Can't wait to get going!

adam.robertson.142
01-19-2014, 05:35 PM
Ok bro first off if you're wanting to hit 1km consistently shoot for 300 win mag. I used it at school and was able to hit 1150m cold bore. I would also recommend Remington since it was the 2010 I made the shot with.

yobuck
01-19-2014, 05:43 PM
The 10fp.308 will get to 1000 with the right bullets, but if you plan on shooting competitively at 1000 there are much better calibers than .308.

like a 300 win mag? why not just leave it alone and shoot it.

Luke45
01-20-2014, 10:46 AM

no, not like a 300 mag. and im not a 1000 yard expert. but i would assume any caliber with a bc over .5 and a velocity over 2600 is superior to a 308 at 1000 yards. 308s are nice guns don't get me wrong, but if someone mentions there are supperior calibers, there are alot of better calibers. and you dont have to jump up to a 300 mag to do so.

Hotolds442
01-20-2014, 12:13 PM

He said other calibers, not chamberings in the same caliber......

yobuck
01-20-2014, 01:04 PM
He said other calibers, not chamberings in the same caliber......

you are correct he did say that. he is also seeking advise on shooting out to possibly 1000 yds.
fact is the difference in any of the cartridges mentioned only amounts to a couple clicks on the dial
for his intended use. if its an education he wants theres no better choice than a 308.
just walk in and buy a very good one.

Jason161
01-20-2014, 04:20 PM
Exactly ^. I decided on a savage in 308 and going with a vortex viper PST 6x24 and a biyds tacticool stock as again it looks similar to the mcmillian I want without the lri e fag. I'm going to shoot out the barrel, learn what I can, them buy a new barrel in.260 and I shouldn't have an problems competing at 1k assuming skills are up to snuff.
The goal of this build was to stay under a budget and learn a lot, and if I can manage to hut 1k great. If only 800 then I'll still be happy. I have a lot to learn anyways and a 4k rifle does me no better as a brand new shooter I'd say..
The only thing Im debating is if I should go with the Primary Arms 4-14 ffp scope at $230. I has great reviews for calibers .308 and under. If would allow me to start practicing right away instead of waiting a few months to afford the viper. When its to!e to replace barrel I can get new optic and use it on my ar15.
I dunno, I'd like to buy one good scope but I'm impatient and hate to have a rifle I can't shoot for a few months lol.
Anyone able to speak to the PA scope for up to 800 yards?

Hotolds442
01-20-2014, 04:59 PM
I have one, and it's fine for what it is. Being FFP, at 800 the dots cover the black target and then some when holding over. Shooting accurately while guessing where the center of the target is can be tough. I have a Pentax 8.5-32 that is easier to shoot accurately at that range, but the glass sucks beyond 24x. A used Bushnell Elite,or SWFA would be a better investment IMO.

Jason161
01-20-2014, 09:58 PM
Is a fixed Bushnell elite 10 capable of 800 yards? I mean I shot 500 with iron sights in marines at a torso silhouette so I would assume it's okay?
Lists of people recommend that model. I might just save for the viper PST but I don't know if I can save enough before this rifle clinic I plan to attend in April.
Downside about the Bushnell 10 fixed is its sfp not ffp. Not to mention the mil dot, I'd prefer mil hash.

Jason161
01-20-2014, 11:03 PM
I dunno, the viper PST ffp 6x24 has good reviews and will last me. I think I maybe should wait. Can anyone give me some recommendations that would be good out to 1k? I know its a 308 but eventually will be a 260.
I want ffp, mil mil, a mil hash reticle if possible(don't care which type I just don't like mil dots), enough zoom to reach 1k. Would like to not go over $800, if so I'll get the viper, but post any alternatives please!

davegar1
01-20-2014, 11:04 PM
Look at the SWFA SS in 10x range. More than enough magnification for 800 yds. These scopes are very affordable just a few bucks more than scope mentioned above but adjustments are accurate and precise. I've got one mounted on HH in 308 and can easily reach out to 800yds with the proper wind call. You want a scope that can give you accurate and reapeatable adjustments for long range shooting.

Jason161
01-20-2014, 11:27 PM
I've been looking at those. Those are nice for a cheap under $300 scope! I just don't know if I want a fixed scope. The 3x15 has all the features I want and only $699. Saves me $250 from the viper but not as many features. Any other recommendations for a long range scope under 800?