PDA

View Full Version : Moly grease on the sear/trigger engagement surface

Bark
03-05-2010, 07:33 PM
For about the first 40 years of my experence in gunsmithing on personal firearms,all instruction and research regarding trigger lubrication maintained NEVER use moly on the trigger/sear interface-period.When granted "permission" to speak freely and I asked the reason to exclude the best (at that time) lube as far as friction reduction,I never recieved an answer that worked for me.My thinking was simply if the design/angle of engagement/manufactured tolerances/etc.were correct,why wouldn't I want the best lube available?Reciently I've come across several articles and comments by respected smiths advising use of moly on the sear,this forum included.So what say you with an opinion and personal experence on this.I am working on a "trick" trigger by a noted smith and am at the last little bump in rendering a "surprisingly good" trigger into "real close to match level" go button.For reference,I have extensive experience and make certain I fully understand HOW the trigger functions before any tool touches metal.Moly paste would do it I believe and have here a tiny tub of the good stuff-something around 80% moly-called MTM-used on high end air rifles.Tell me a story. Old Grumpy.

Uncle Jack
03-05-2010, 07:54 PM
I was first introduced to moly grease back in the 70's by my partner in a gun store in San Raphael, CA. In a previous life he had been a pistolsmith at Bob Chows gun shop in San Francisco and also an armorer for the SFPD. He had a small film can about 1/2 full of moly grease. We used that on just about every firearm that came and went for repairs. We did a lot of combat .45 work in those days. Dick applied a very minute amount with a darning needle to the sear after carefully stoning it with a Arkansas hard stone.

I still have the can and still use it. I have never heard of any adverse effects from using moly grease.

uj

sharpshooter
03-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Look at any accutrigger gun, they have lubed with moly grease from the factory.

shoofly
05-03-2010, 10:56 AM
I also use molly grease on all my trigger sears. I been using it since I read articles in precising shooting mags.many years ago. I also do not shoot any bullets that are not molly. The bullets are faster and cleaning is minimal........

dcloco
05-03-2010, 03:13 PM
I don't use moly - some of it can be gritty.

I DO use a synthetic that, when dry, leaves a minute film.

phirebug
05-03-2010, 05:31 PM
my new non-accutrigger model 11 also came from the factory with moly lube on the trigger engagement areas.

khuff
05-13-2010, 10:32 AM
I just ordered a relatively "new" chemical call Boron Nitride, JP Enterprises (triggers) highly recommends it and calls it a trigger job in a tube; in addition guys are using it instead of moly on their bullets. You can get it from Rydol mixed forms or get it in raw form (pricey as heck raw - 1lb=$49/-5 Micron to $63/-10 Micron). Here are some places to go to to review it's specs and prices. If you get it in raw cosmetic form your wife or girlfriend can use it in their makeup (no kidding) or in paint for art, however after asking around your skin can have a bad reaction to it. LOL

www.rydol.com/index or www.rydol.com/products/index.htm

Raw form:

sandblastingabrasives.com/hex-boron-nitride-29/?zenid=6ee224dd0bb975e995509f1966b8d84d

82boy
05-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Boron Nitride (AKA "BN") has been around for sometime. David Tubbs, uses it to cover the bullets that he sells. Others have used it to coat bullets, ever since the myth that Moly attracts moisture has been around.

The first link is dead, but the second link works, but I could not find any trigger grease. Their high pressure lube has soy bean oil, and moly in it, onto of the BN.

Don - LongRangeSupply
05-13-2010, 10:36 PM
..........ever since the myth that Moly attracts moisture has been around.

Not exactly a myth..............

water and moly absolutely can etch steel.

http://varmintal.com/arelo.htm#Corrosion

Mythbusting in reverse: Moly most definitely is hygroscopic (which means it ABSORBS moisture).

http://industrialcoatingsworld.com/low-friction-coatings/mos2-low-friction-coatings

http://www.springerlink.com/content/n17r4hvq646j0g43/

Additionally although it probably has nothing to do with the hygroscopic properties of moly, the use of moly coating has proven in numerous cases to produce a moly ring that is extremely difficult to remove and can degrade accuracy in some chambers / bores.

82boy
05-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Ok where the proof ?
I dont beilieve in Varmint all reports.
What proof of this "moly ring" can you show.