PDA

View Full Version : Stock walnut weight reduction, how much is possible?

brasse
01-11-2014, 08:54 PM
I was able to get my Savage Monte Carlo walnut stock to 24.7 ounces without pad. The Light Weight Hunter stock is 22.6 ounces and it doesn't have the Monte Carlo cheek piece.

I actually would like to find a Savage blind magazine walnut stock for center feed magazine, with no Monte Carlo cheek piece and non glossy finish.

Would like to cut 2-3 inches off the fore arm and a full inch off the butt pad. Then hollow out the stock as much as possible to see if I could get it to less than 20 ounces. I figure the first two inches are not really used and when I add a Limbsaver butt pad it adds over 0.6 inches LOP compared to the stock pad. I like the LOP about 13 inches, most stocks seem to be 13.5 inches.

I could try a Boyds laminated stock, but that wood is really hard to work on. But it might make a better light weight hunting stock.

For those of you who have done this, how low can you go on weight and are there any other tips and techniques I can use to cut the weight?

jonbearman
01-12-2014, 12:15 PM
You will end up with a stock that might flex or crack down the road.The boyds thumbhole laminate is fairly light and way more rigid than walnut.You can try doing your thing to the walnut but it may or maynot work out very well.If you really want something light call kelblys and some of the others especially Kevin Rayhill of stockade stocks at 1-308-432-5114 for a really light weight composite stock at fair prices.

bajabill
01-13-2014, 12:39 PM
I have one I got down to about 2.5 lbs with the pad, internal mag, and trigger guard. I did not cut the forend back, just drilled holes in the back and gouged a channel in the forend under the barrel. There is certainly more I could get but that was where I stopped.

mazda3gun
01-13-2014, 03:14 PM
I just did an extensive refinish job on my wood stock(beech or birch, not sure) and never weighed it though. But I also wasn't too concerned with weight, more the fact my finish was cracked and needed redone.
Sounds like you want to remove a lot of material, good luck. If you've ever owned or shot, or known anyone that owned a Remington Special Field shotgun, they can tell you there's a reason why wooden stocks are made the way they are. My granddad's has cracked right were the action meets the buttstock since there is no drop-down at the grip area. Recoil just goes straight into wood grain and into the butt. Which is were most, if not all, Special Fields get cracks.
Be careful, if you have an already beautiful stock, I recommend not modifying it and buy something that you don't care to chop up. It can get dangerous really fast.
Maybe I'm just being paranoid?! See signature below
l
l
l
V

David13
01-13-2014, 08:34 PM
I guess I have to ask, why are you concerned about the weight?
If you are really concerned, go with a synthetic stock. That is part of their appeal.
Part of the appeal of the wood is the beauty, and it seems you are going to jeopardize some of that.
And, you will weaken the stock.
Guns are like potato chips. You can't have just one.
So one lightweight, for field carry, and one with the beauty that wood, in particular walnut offers, for the range use.
dc

jpdown
01-14-2014, 02:02 AM
You can get as Savage walnut stock down to around 32 oz. It is a lot of work and you will most likely have to refinish the stock. If you want a light compact rifle with a walnut stock, the Savage 11/111 LWH is the simple, quick and cost effective solution.

brasse
01-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Please reread my initial post.
I was able to get my Savage Monte Carlo walnut stock to 24.7 ounces without pad. The Light Weight Hunter stock is 22.6 ounces and it doesn't have the Monte Carlo cheek piece.

Because it had the gloss finish I was told it would be a LOT of work to refinish it. So I did not take the forearm tip off. Next time I will take a full inch off the pad area instead of a half an inch.

As far as I know Savage doesn't sell the LWH stock, if someone has a short action LWH I would appreciate you looking up the stock part number now that the Savage web site is back with Parts Finder.

David_4
01-14-2014, 04:48 PM
This isn't my SN, just one I got from a pic posted on Gunbroker, but it works with the Savage part finder, H765098.
STOCK RH SH DBM/HF OIL/WAX (11LWH) - PN: 108638
$284.00

brasse
01-14-2014, 05:33 PM
Is the MOD 11 LWH 7MM-08 REM a short action or long action??? I am guessing short action as that serial number shows the correct magazine box, same as Axis

Magazine Box - Savage Axis/Edge - Blued-243 WIN / 7MM-08 REM / 260 REM / 250 SAV / 308 WIN / 300 SAV - P/N: 55232 $40.00

Thanks for the serial number, there are people always looking for the polymer DBM parts numbers, this one will get what they want.

RP12
01-14-2014, 06:14 PM
Is the MOD 11 LWH 7MM-08 REM a short action or long action??? I am guessing short action as that serial number shows the correct magazine box, same as Axis

Magazine Box - Savage Axis/Edge - Blued-243 WIN / 7MM-08 REM / 260 REM / 250 SAV / 308 WIN / 300 SAV - P/N: 55232 $40.00

Thanks for the serial number, there are people always looking for the polymer DBM parts numbers, this one will get what they want.Model 11= short action.