PDA

View Full Version : Have stock, need rifle. The backwards thread.

TheTomcat
01-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Long time lurker-1st thread.
So, I bought a Savage 11/111 Hog Hunter from a friend in need of some cash with out seeing the actual rifle. Then, because I am impulsive and I dislike plastic stocks I called Boyds to order a laminate stock. What they sent me is a "Prairie Hunter Savage 11 Top Bolt Release Blind Mag Short Action Staggered Feed Factory Barrel Channel" Which once I saw the two together I immediately knew the barrel alone wouldn't fit. Bought another stock for the Hog Hunter, problem solved there. I have emailed Savage asking them what would fit with a response that said "we don't know ask the stock maker". Asked Boyds the said; "Ask the rifle manufacturer". The stock is "custom" so I can't return it.

Now I want to find a rifle that fits:
Savage 11
Top Bolt Release
Blind Mag
Short Action
Staggered Feed
Factory Barrel Channel
Barrel Channel opening at receiver is 1 5/16" and 3/4" at the end of the stock.
Center to Center action screws 4 9/32".
Overall Length 31 1/2".
I would like a 22-250 action if possible.

Does anyone know what rifle might fit? I don't mind taking it to a gunsmith for exact fitting but at lease the action screws should fit. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.

thomae
01-11-2014, 02:43 PM
What you are looking for is a Savage staggerfeed short action. The distance between action screws is 4.275 inches.

Please read this: http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?128-Savage-Action-Lengths

My best suggestion is to pay the $15.00 for a membership and post a WTB in the classifieds

(...and I have to ask: Please don't let this thread turn into a Want to Buy or Want to Sell thread because that is not allowed per the forum rules.)

If you get a rifle and the barrel is too wide for the barrel channel, just take some sand paper, wrap it around an appropriately sized dowel or socket, and make the barrel channel larger. When you are all done, just make sure you seal the bare wood so it does not absorb moisture.

I don't own a Prairie Hunter stock, but from what I hear there is plenty of room to widen the barrel channel. I am sure someone who owns a PH will chime in and confirm or deny this.

TheTomcat
01-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Thomae,

thanks for for the info! It's not just the barrel width it's also the action screws and almost everything else as well.

What you are looking for is a Savage staggerfeed short action. The distance between action screws is 4.275 inches.

Please read this: http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?128-Savage-Action-Lengths

My best suggestion is to pay the $15.00 for a membership and post a WTB in the classifieds

(...and I have to ask: Please don't let this thread turn into a Want to Buy or Want to Sell thread because that is not allowed per the forum rules.)

If you get a rifle and the barrel is too wide for the barrel channel, just take some sand paper, wrap it around an appropriately sized dowel or socket, and make the barrel channel larger. When you are all done, just make sure you seal the bare wood so it does not absorb moisture.

I don't own a Prairie Hunter stock, but from what I hear there is plenty of room to widen the barrel channel. I am sure someone who owns a PH will chime in and confirm or deny this.

Hotolds442
01-11-2014, 10:25 PM
The action screws will be correct if you purchase any model 10,11,12,or 16 stagger feed action that has a top bolt release. You will know you're getting the right action if the blind magazine is attached to the action. If it's part of the stock, it's a center feed action and will have the wrong bolt spacing.

TheTomcat
01-11-2014, 11:56 PM
Perfect! Thank you. That is exactly the answer I needed.

The action screws will be correct if you purchase any model 10,11,12,or 16 stagger feed action that has a top bolt release. You will know you're getting the right action if the blind magazine is attached to the action. If it's part of the stock, it's a center feed action and will have the wrong bolt spacing.

tammons
01-12-2014, 12:05 PM
LOL - you sound like me. I have a 4.4" stock but need an action.

You can open up the barrel channel in your stock, but moving an action screw location is tedious.
Yup you need an older staggerfeed short action. They are around.