PDA

View Full Version : Action advice

romad97
01-10-2014, 10:00 PM
My next plan build is a lightweight hunting rifle. My plan is to order a stockade rollover stock and equip it with a heavy sporter barrel chambered in 7mm WSM. I have had feelers out for a savage SA with not a lot of luck. I do have the ability to purchase a short action from a WSM rifle that the owner said had been shot roughly 40-60 times. It has a CRF magnum bolt face and WSM mag box. This is a large shank action. Its the 4.275" bolt spacing, or staggered feed and it does come with the accutrigger. I have only built 1 rifle previous to this one which was a 243 and I used a newer 4.4 centerfeed model. What I don't know much about is the CRF magnum bolt face. Is this exclusive to the staggerfeed actions? Do these have a decent reputation for accuracy, feeding, etc..?

Hotolds442
01-10-2014, 10:08 PM
They were only needed on the stagger feed. Once they moved to center feed, CRF was no longer needed. It will be as accurate as any other savage rifle.

romad97
01-10-2014, 10:12 PM
They were only needed on the stagger feed. Once they moved to center feed, CRF was no longer needed. It will be as accurate as any other savage rifle.

What was the reason they were needed on the staggerfeed?

Hotolds442
01-10-2014, 10:15 PM
To provide reliable feeding from the magazine.